Author Topic: Blackambert Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 2138 times)

dttorun

Blackambert Cheese Making Recipe
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »
Does anyone know about blackambert cheese? The sources I've found on the net say it is camambert cheese washed with squid ink to make it black. Then it becomes dark gray as the mold grows. It is made by an Argentinian company. I can't relate cheese and squid ink as food colourant. I even didn't know if squid ink is edible.
Thanks,
Tan

Helen

Re: Blackambert Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
Well... Squid ink is edible because that's what is used in risottos.

However, I never imagined an ink camembert. What an intriguing idea those people had...

ScottC

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:09:57 AM »
Yes, also squid-ink pasta is quite common!

The only squid ink cheese I've heard of is from japan... a Furano Cheese Company product that is coloured all the way through.

Cheers,

Scott.

OudeKaas

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »
Yes, also squid-ink pasta is quite common!

The only squid ink cheese I've heard of is from japan... a Furano Cheese Company product that is coloured all the way through.

Cheers,

Scott.

Wow, that's interesting - I never would have suspected this as a colorant for cheese! Piecing together my school-days Japanese plus Google Translate, it looks like the product, a squid ink-infused Camembert, is called "Sepia" and was supposedly insipred by the image of winter snow lying atop the fertile black earth of the area of northern Japan where the creamery is (somewhere in Hokkaido). Cool-looking stuff.

I guess it's a bit gimmicky, but it does look neat. Wonder if it has any impact on the taste?

scubagirlwonder

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
Here's another link about the Furano Black Camembert http://bigfoodsmallworld.blogspot.com/2009/04/black-camembert.html
My experience with squid ink has been limited to dishes like squid cooked in it's own ink and risotto, both dishes had intense minerally,  briny, loamy and "earthy/oceanic" flavors, so I would assume that any cheese made with the ink would also have those flavors imparted on it...

ScottC

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »
I've never actually tasted squid ink, but it does sound like it would go well with a soft cheese.

Queixo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:51:53 PM »
Mi wife preparing arroz negro (black rice) past weekend. It's not uncommon around here.
Made with cuttlefish ink, actually, not squid.