Author Topic: pH Whey vs Curd & How To Test Moz pH W/O Meter  (Read 3547 times)

HarryB

pH Whey vs Curd & How To Test Moz pH W/O Meter
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
I'm sure I saw it somewhere but can't find it now. What is the approximate relationship between the pH of the whey to the pH of the curd. My meter, a Hanna PHP is not suited to sticking into curd.

Henry

HarryB

Re: pH Whey vs Curd & How To Test Moz pH W/O Meter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:27:08 PM »
Modification. My Meter is a Hanna PHeP. The specific reason for asking this question is that I am trying to make Mozzarella and have used linuxboy's recipe ( thanks linuxboy). Measuring the pH was easy when there was plenty of whey. Now it is drained off things are becoming more difficult. I really don't want to waste all my curd testing for stretch .

Henry

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:58:50 PM »
Whey ph is .1-.3 higher than curd, generally. Depends on the milk. And the difference becomes bigger the lower the pH. With mozz, you have to test the curd, unless you standardize the milk because it's all about the texture. I can get a great mozz at 4.9, and a great mozz at 5.4, depending on the milk and whey drain pH (suggest 6.0) and rennet pH (suggest 6.3). And the point when to stretch is all about the feel of the curds.

No need to use a large piece, just cut off a sliver and stretch it in hot water and see what it does.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:52:13 PM by linuxboy »

HarryB

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:40 PM »
Linuxboy, thanks for the prompt reply. I am working with very small amounts so slivers are precious. I will try a 0.3 difference and try to start sampling at the top end. If the difference is only 0.1 I  will still be within the window. Certainly there is another hour to go before I am in trouble with excess acidification.

Henry