Author Topic: Swelling - Waxed Havarti  (Read 2216 times)

opalcab

Swelling - Waxed Havarti
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
Waxed Havarti swelling up like a balloon it has been stored in my cheese cave for several months production date of 12/23/2010
when I cut the cheese open it expelled about one gram of whey and cheese is acidic maybe it did not have enough time to age but the wax was so swelled up i just had to check it i did not find any mold under the wax

Any help would be great
Thanks
Stan

Tea

Re: Swelling - Waxed Havarti
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Morning Opalcab, just wondering what recipe you used to make this.  It would help so we can trouble shoot.

opalcab

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 09:10:28 PM »
This cheese has been in the cheese cave since it was made with a control on the fridge and RH about 78 to 90 percent RH
depending when the fridge turns on and Rh goes up to the high point before the fridge turns back on, it was made with organic milk and calf rennet

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
FYI - Organic milk is usually ultrapasteurized and a poor choice for making cheese.

opalcab

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
This milk is not  but it has been pasteurized

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »
How do you know it's not UP? They do NOT have to put UP on the label.

opalcab

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
the carton is marked pasteurized not ultra-pasteurized

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 05:21:09 PM »
That is often the case with organic milk and it still does not mean that it isn't UP. IMHO that is a scam in the industry. UP will make the milk last longer because it is more sterile. BUT the big producers want you to think it lasts longer simply because it's "organic". So they intentionally don't label it as UP. If you want to use this milk on a regular basis, I would called company and ask.