Author Topic: Brew Curd Cheddar #2  (Read 2082 times)

tnbquilt

Brew Curd Cheddar #2
« on: April 07, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »
I tried this one again yesterday. I used my cheddar recipe and soaked it in Strawn Amber Ale. In the first picture the cheese has little rips in it from me trying to peel the cheese cloth off, and I can see little swirls of ale in the curd. The second picture, something slipped and it came out a little whopsided. I pressed that one naked so it has little nubs on it.

I call it a success.

tnbquilt

Re: Brew Curd Cheddar #2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
I forgot to salt the cheese! I was making cheese and canning sauerkraut and cooking supper and I got all confused and didn't salt it. I cut it all apart and heated it up and salted it and put it back in the press. This time I am pressing one cheese instead of making two. Now I won't have a lopsided cheese.

I guess if you can double mill cheddar, I can cut it up and salt it and repress.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »
I like the Ävant Garde look of the second one! More a work of art than a cheese.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
Today I tasted the Brews Curd Cheddar. It has a nice knit to it, appears to have been pressed correctly. It smells like cheddar, it's moist and has the right consistency. It tastes good, no off flavors, the right amount of salt. I could not taste the beer, and the cheddar flavor is very mild. It's not ready yet, but shows signs of an excellent cheese. I plan on taking it to Strawn Brewery in September for their one year anniversary party. I soaked it in their amber.

Lstrawn

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
Well your cheese is good, and I know that beer is good, so it should be wonderful!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
Ah, one for the family album!  >:D

Missed it by that much! ::)

A cheese to you for a good recovery, Tammy.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tnbquilt

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
I've added one to the family album since then, so I'm still in there!