Author Topic: Coagulation, Rennet - No Clean Break > Lactic Coagulation (& Aging White/Grey Furry Mold Discussion)  (Read 2450 times)

bigpaul

Hi all.

First try at cheesemaking and first post!!
I am trying a hard cheese and all seemed to be going well. The wheel is in the fridge and i am changing the cloth regularly. It has been in the fridge for 2 weeks now. Today i can see white/grey furry mould growing on it and also (possibly) something sort of orange. My thoughts are not enough salt on the outside? maybe i need to wax it??

I have some pics but cant seem to attach them!!

I am hoping someone can help me out as i would hate to fail mat my first!!

Looking forward!!!!

Tomer1

First tell us what cheese is this,how it was made and how did you store it?

Helen

When I see mold that I don't want growing on my cheese, I usually wash the spot with some vinegar and then some brine.

But you would have to ask yourself, why is the mold growing in the first place? Sanitation? RH?

Knowing more about your process and your cheese would definitely be helpful to provide you with more specific answers.

To post a picture, click on "additional options". You will then see an "Attach" option.

- Helen

bigpaul

Thanks for replies.

It is intended to be a hard cheese. I used buttermilk as starter and rennet but my kitchen is cool so the 'sitting period before a clean break was closer to 36hrs than the 8-12 that the recipe (frankhausers hard cheese recipe) suggested.
I pressed it for about 12 hrs and wrapped it in cloth and put it in the fridge. I have been changing the cloth as per the recipe. It says to wax after three weekls but im only 2 weeks in!

I will try washing in vinegar and re-brining.

Should i scrape/cut/remove the mould??

Hopefully have attached the pics.

Cheese Head

bigpaul welcome, looks from here like standard mold from humidity being slightly too high. Suggest as Helen says to clean off mold, I use a brush, and wash with vinegar or salt, also see our Wiki: Surface Defects, Mold article.

FYI with not getting a curd set for 36 hours you did not have enough rennet and you have made a mostly lactic acid coagulated cheese, some info in our Wiki: Coagulation article. Even with pressing lactic acid cheeses are moister than rennet coagulated cheeses as can be seen in the subsidence of your cheese, I would not vacuum bag or wax it.