Author Topic: Patterned rinds - how are these done, so that you have a bilateral shape?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
OK, call me stupid (well, if you do, say it under your breath, please).  I'm interested in starting to funk up my rind patterns on my tomme and other harder cheeses; take, for instance, Consider Bardwell's Dorset as an example:

From the video, around 2:30, you can see to the left what looks like a metal mold, with possibly some sort of fabric bottom (?).  How does one get a pressed cheese like this, with a bilateral surface - top and bottom are the same?  Obviously, if using a flat follower in a mold like this, one side will be flat.  I understand the Italian molds are meant to be stackable, as cereal bowls are stackable, and the outside bottom of the top mold has the shape of the inner surface of the molds themselves; so that you end up with a more or less equivalent "top" and "bottom" to your cheese, when stacking these molds.  But the "generic" Italian mold shape isn't quite what I'm after. 

Any thoughts on how this is done with patterns like these? 
- Paul

zenith1

Some moulds have the pattern molded in like a Manchego that has the distinctive reed pattern.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Thanks, Keith.  I'm actually wondering more how you obtain a bilateral surface when doing a pressed cheese, when using something like a manchego mold.  I understand the Italian molds nest, and the underside is essentially the same as the inside shape, so you get the equivalent surface; but wondering how it works on larger molds, with a heavy pressing schedule. 
- Paul