Author Topic: Tomme - success  (Read 3184 times)

Helen

Tomme - success
« on: March 20, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
Good morning to you all,

4 months ago, I made a tomme with half raw goat milk and half cream line pasteurized cow milk.

Since then, I have been watching carefully over my tomme - babying it and certainly worrying a lot about its rind.

Why was it pink? Should I remove the hole that formed in the rind? Why is it cracked on the edge? Why is it turning brown in some places and not others?

I finally decided that tommes usually have ugly rind and that it was part of its character and stopped worrying too much about it. I satisfied myself with washing it with light brine once in a while.

But last week, I decided it was time for a first taste. It tasted so good that I made an happy dance in my chair. The taste of goat was present but not overwhelming. The paste was creamy and nutty. There were a couple of mechanical openings in the cheese but I don't think it is worrisome.

So it is definitely not the prettiest tomme but it is a darn tasty one. I could get used to having it around... Too bad it is only 4 pounds. It won't last long for sure.

Thank you guys for all the discussion around tommes and rinds and all the support and guidance I found in the pages of the forum. I could not have done it without you.

JeffHamm

Re: Tomme - success
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 07:55:55 PM »
That looks really nice!  Well done.

- Jeff

megdcl

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
Glad you enjoyed your cheese!! Successful results are what keep us happily making more ;D. I have wondered if cutting in goats' milk would affect the flavor of the cheese.. you said you could taste it a bit? Have you made other cheeses with half and half?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:40:51 PM »
Excellent, Helen. Looks very tasty.  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 12:02:51 AM »
 That looks great! Nice job. While cracks and surface defects aren't ideal, you never know what really lies underneath til you cut into it.  I cut into an old Gouda last week that had really deep, long cracks across the top.  It turned out that there were no imperfections inside. Conversely, I cut into one that had a small  round fissure and it was nearly blue throughout.  Don't count a cheese out till you open it up!

Brie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:23:18 AM »
A beautiful tomme--congrats! I am working on a few now--one that is washed in honey and sea salt; one washed in fennel pollen, lavender and olive oil; and one that steeped in Merlot and fresh grape leaves for a month. I can't wait!

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:10 AM »
That looks really good!  I haven't tried tomme yet, but all the recent threads and posts are getting me curious.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:44:29 AM »
That looks great! Glad it tastes good, too.

Helen

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »
I have wondered if cutting in goats' milk would affect the flavor of the cheese.. you said you could taste it a bit? Have you made other cheeses with half and half?

To megdcl -
Well, my taste buds find that it does make a difference. While the goat flavor is present , it is much mellower than with a full goat milk cheese. Splitting cow and goat milk was an economic necessity for me since my raw goat milk is very expensive. Eventually, I found out that I liked the flavor :)

While cracks and surface defects aren't ideal, you never know what really lies underneath til you cut into it

To smilingcalico -
I can't help it. Cracks and defects make me lose sleep. I am afraid of the nasties that can hide there.

one that is washed in honey and sea salt; one washed in fennel pollen, lavender and olive oil; and one that steeped in Merlot and fresh grape leaves for a month

To Brie -
That sounds yummy. For the one washed in pollen, lavender and olive oil, would you mind sharing how you came to this idea and your wash schedule is like?

OudeKaas

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 02:54:15 AM »
Wow, very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully you have some subsequent efforts following this one that will continue to ripen over time? Or was this a one-off?

Brie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 03:32:22 AM »
Helen--there are several posts here regarding my delight with fennel pollen. I began my experiment trying to replicate perple haze, the soft goat cheese made by Cypress Grove. I moved on to making a Havarti with Fennel Pollen, and then a Brie with the same. The Harvarti was great as an ingredient that I used for Arancini; yet it was way too strong. I have adjusted to now use as a rind wash for a tomme. Its in the making, as I have just pressed this weekend. I will mix the pollen and lavender with olive oil and begin applying once the rind is formed. Should be delightful!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
I am working on a few now--one that is washed in honey and sea salt
I can't seem to get this thought out of my head. I have a Tomme ready to begin rind treatment now and I would like to try the honey & sea salt routine. Can you give me a little more detail how you go about that?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 03:54:55 PM »
Helen, just saw this thread, wanted to offer my congratulations - your tomme looks really wonderful.  Break out the Vin de Savoie, some bread, and your delicious-looking wheel! (Long gone by now, I'm sure).
- Paul

Helen

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »
Arnaud,

Thank you for your compliments. It is actually not long gone - I vacuumed 3 quarters and try to eat sparingly until I have built a "pipeline" of cheese.

It's funny... when I moved from France to the USA, cheese disappeared from my daily diet. It was an occasional, celebratory pleasure (I am still not used to pay $25 for an epoisses that has over-aged). But now that cheesemaking is part of my weekly routine (1 cheese per weekend), I have started to re-integrate cheese into my diet and that feels awesome.

I actually chose to drink a red (Gigondas) with my tomme. I think it complimented the goat side of the tomme quite nicely.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 04:23:57 PM »
Helen, wonderful post.  Must be odd to get used to paying this much for cheeses you were so accustomed to.  Etes vous francaise?

Gigondas....ummm.  I'm pretty squarely a Bourgogne kind of guy, now, but for so many years, my first love was Gigondas.  Especially with:

Which I really like to make a zillion ways.  Love your thoughts re: goat aspects, and the lusciousness of the Rhône wine.  Sounds wonderful. :)
- Paul