Author Topic: What influences rind thickness?  (Read 3710 times)

squeekycurds

What influences rind thickness?
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:15:35 AM »
Hi, I am two weeks into ripening rocamadour style cheese. I used raw cow milk, Ricki Carroll's french cream cheese recipe, and P. Candidum. The rind is thicker than I have experienced with any white mold cheeses I have purchased. The cheeses had vigorous mold growth. Being my second time ripening cream cheese with mold, I am happy to have this result, but want to refine it. I  want to make the rind thinner. Is there any relevant details I need to share?
I drained the curd in steel rings (that I previously used for baking tarts.) They rested on a plastic mesh mat, and a wire rack. The little pucks weigh 1oz/30g.  For the container I used two black plastic seedling trays. One is inverted on top of the other. It sits on a cool floor covered with a blanket and has a consistent 50 deg temperature, and high humidity, although I don't know the %. There is a bowl of water in there, and I wipe out a little condensation daily.
What can I do to make a thinner, less rubbery rind?
Thanks, Squeeky

MrsKK

Re: What influences rind thickness?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 03:16:18 AM »
I would use a clear plastic container with a lid.  It would be more consistent in humidity levels than two seedling trays on top of each other, since the lid would fit better.

Other than controlling the humidity level better, I don't have any suggestions. 

RobJP

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
If the temperature is a consistent 50 degrees, that should be about right.
Higher temperatures can allow the candidum to progress too quickly.
One thing you could try is to add some geotricum along with the starter to give it a headstart, and then spray on the candidum after you remove it from the draining rings.
Hope this helps.

Brie

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:15:27 AM »
I would also second the idea of adding geo to the ripening period. For now, you should pat down the rind daily--this will help keep it intact. You can also wrap it at this point, because it is an early-ripened cheese and should be ready to eat. Also, if continuing to age, take it to the regular fridge at 40 degrees (either way, you need to take it out of 50-55 degree ripening area. Lve to see the pic of this at cutting!