Author Topic: Hard camembert  (Read 4373 times)

simbiotic

Hard camembert
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »
I am in need of some help.
I made my camembert as to the Ricki Carol Book, but my camembert is hard after 7 weeks.
I have made two lots and they are both the same.
Why is it so hard after it has matured and not soft like normal camembert should be.
Hoping I can get some advise please.
Thanks

9mmruger

Re: Hard camembert
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:18:47 PM »
Did you get any white mold development?
Proper Sanitation?
Can you upload any pix of the cheese for us to see?

simbiotic

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
The cheese has a very good covering of white mould.
I always sterilise all my equipment and hands all the time.
Sorry I dont have a workig camera at the moment but this cheese look just like every other camembert I have ever seen.
It just doesnt's seem to be softening up.
I have done all that I am supposed to do.
I have let it mature.
But it still taste just as good.

9mmruger

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »
How about fridge temp?
Humidity level?

Possibly getting too dry?

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 02:58:31 AM »
The questions Mr. Kim is asking are the right ones.  If ageing in a regular fridge, the low temp will significantly extend the ageing period (as long as 10 weeks!). Also, if the cheese is not kept in a box to contain the humidity, you also risk a dry cheese. 

Brie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 04:03:37 AM »
You may want to check some threads on this--it is not most likely in the aging but more in the make. Cams and the like are best with PH control. On the bright side--I had this happen to me once (stablized brie), and I began washing it with white wine for a few weeks and it morphed into a great cheese. This is why we never throw away cheese (unless it poses a health threat)--we now can create our own adventure.

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 04:43:15 AM »
Brie, you're right, it could also be in the make, starting with low moisture curd, one certainly would end up with the "stabilized cam".  I like your white wine wash idea. Did it help to allow your cam to take up the moisture and thus become creamy, or did it remain firm but have great flavor?

ScottC

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »
Yeah, ours stayed hard after 7 weeks too. Seemed OK in all other respects - right humidity and temp etc., nice P. candidum  coverage... just never softened. tasted OK. Not great, but not unpleasant. Like processed cheese. We didn't eat it other than a taste. You can see the suggestions made in my thread in the 'problems' forum. Some suggested the recipe we used was no good, but we haven't tried again with a different one.

Brie

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
It remained firm with great flavor! Once in awhile it happens with Chaource as well--I do the same thing!