Author Topic: Horseradish - Using In Cheese Making  (Read 1941 times)

Panther Dad

Horseradish - Using In Cheese Making
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:16:09 AM »
Has anybody tried a horseradish cheese. I'm looking for ideas as for how much horseradish to start with and what point to ad it in the process. There are a number of recipes for cheese spread but have not found one for a formed or pressed cheese. I've tasted store bought horseradish cheese and loved it so I can only imagine What home made would be like.

Tea

Re: Horseradish - Using In Cheese Making
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »
Hi Panther Dad, I can't imagine adding anything to a mozz or provolone, simply because of the hot water immersion that this cheese goes through.  The horseradish though could be added to another cheese after the whey had been drained off and before pressing or moulding.
If you look at my fetta recipe you will see that I have added herbs and garlic and also the monteray jack I also added herbs and garlic too.  This might give you some ideas about adding it to a more suitable cheese.

Was the one you tried commercially in a mozz or provolone?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
Panther, I would start with what the base cheese was closet to. Then I would shred the horseradish and maybe wash it. I would add it at pressing time. If you add it before it might cook.

cozcoester

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
Hi Panther Dad, I happen to have some horseradish cheese in my fridge right now. ;D  upon reading the label, it claims to be an aged cheddar wwith ground horseradish.  Yum!