Author Topic: Cheese Molds  (Read 15497 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Cheese Molds
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »
So I've been talking about getting some PVC pipe to make some custom molds. Here's what I found.

I have 8" molds for sale, I will probably cut them to 8" high for $10 not including shipping. They actually mesaure on the inside at 7 7/8". I will drill small holes in it for an extra fee, but I will cross that road when I come to it as I haven't yet figured out how to chop this pipe up it will sit square. Any suggestions welcome.

For the other pipe it's 10" and I will probably only have enough for myself.

If anyone wants to go in on a 12" pipe let me know. They cost $270 with tax and are 20' long. For 12" I would have to buy an entire 20' length and about 12" is waste. This part is at the end where it flares out to connect to another pipe. I would say no shorter than 15" per mold, so out of a 19' section I would get 15 molds at $18 each not including shipping. Let me know and I'll pick it up and cut and send it.

Likesspace

Re: Cheese Molds
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:18:37 AM »
Cartier..
As for cutting the pipe either use a large electric chop saw or find someone with a power band saw. Either way you can get a perfectly square cut.
I'm trying to find some short pieces of 12" for us but not sure I'm going to have any luck.
Well drillers are about the only ones that use 12" and they simply set a little higher or lower to keep waste at a minimum.
Just wanted to give you a tip on cutting the pipe to length. We use a chop saw a lot on 4" pipe but it would take a pretty big one to do 8 inch.

Dave

brent

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »
i had another thought how about one of them round cake tins (the ones for bakeing not storeing, thay have a removeable bottom and come in a wide range of sizes

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:52:27 PM »
But they almost always have seams and maybe not tall enough. But it's probably a pretty cheap idea to test.

The tallest ones I could find were 3" high.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
Hi Brent and I agree with Carter.  I was looking at mine the other day wondering if they could be used, but the problems that I saw were, 1) the height issue not being enough, 2) you would then need to find/cut a follower as you couldn't use the base of the pan, 3) Not sure that the rivets would hold under pressure of pressing.  They were not meant for that, and 4) the seam line, although that be too great a problem.

Sings idea of cutting the base out of an old saucepan and using the base as the follower, I thought was a great idea though.  Going to see what I have that i could do that with.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 08:26:50 PM »
I've come up with 10 ideas and just as many tools on the web for cutting large diameter PVC. But it's all work, just a major PITA. I would build something but I hate building something I'm going to use once, plus it will use a lot of plywood, I have it just don't want to waste it on this project.

Luckily my metal supplier is going to cut it up for me for $20. I will make sure the saw is clean and no coolant running, but these days the coolant might be non-toxic. So easily solved, I just enjoy doing it myself.

brent

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:27:39 PM »
Hi Brent and I agree with Carter.  I was looking at mine the other day wondering if they could be used, but the problems that I saw were, 1) the height issue not being enough, 2) you would then need to find/cut a follower as you couldn't use the base of the pan, 3) Not sure that the rivets would hold under pressure of pressing.  They were not meant for that, and 4) the seam line, although that be too great a problem.

Sings idea of cutting the base out of an old saucepan and using the base as the follower, I thought was a great idea though.  Going to see what I have that i could do that with.
love the pan idiea seems a lot of work though??

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 03:29:07 AM »
Here are pics of the molds. They are finished aside from cleaning. I wasnt able to get them cut by my metal supplier as the clamp on the machine was so strong it almost broke the pipe. I came up with an idea and cut them myself and they came out perfect. If anyone wants some, let me know.

The sizes are 8" diameter and 9" high. I can customize if you want but it'll cost more. I'm not going to drill holes in it as the professional hoops don't have any. The price is $15 each not including shipping, it cost more than the original post as I had to buy some materials to make the cutting device. If you want bigger sizes and I get enough orders I can make them, let me know.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:43:58 PM by Cartierusm »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »
I just recheck and they are 8" on the inside.

Brian

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 02:35:06 AM »
Dude.  I want one.
Does it have a bottom and follower?

Brian

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 08:49:55 AM »
I am selling them on my website now. I don't know if they are on there yet. No they don't have tops and bottoms. What size do you want and I can quote you a price?

Just for anyone else reading this thread I am no longer selling these things at the prices quoted above. I wrote this post before I decided to make a business of it. I just didn't find it right to edit the post above.

CLWest

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 11:20:53 PM »
For the 12" pipe, check with the local water department - they usually have scrap from projects they may toss your way.

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:38 PM »
I am in nz and bought a good quality food grade plastic 800gram mold from peter at cottage crafts, I also bought a brand new stainless steel chimney flu and am having this cut down and holes drilled in it for larger cheeses.

leedsfan

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 02:50:23 AM »
i would suggest that you check whether the plastic you are using is food grade. I thought about using same process until I checked and found virtually all piping sold in hardware stores is not food grade, and can potentially leech harmful chemicals into your cheese. I would most definitely NOT recommend using plastic piping from a hardware store without being 100% certain about it food grade worthiness.

Here is a link to some documentation about food grade plastics:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090606150900AAKF1eh

burgy

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »
You can get PVC pipe from the local plumber, you don't have to buy the entire 10' pipe. I picked up enough 6" and 8" pipe to make six molds, cost me 15 bucks. They also have a way to cut the larger pipe and will cut it for you for a small fee.