Author Topic: Cheese Molds  (Read 15492 times)

Cheese Head

Re: Cheese Molds
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 10:28:09 PM »
Burgy, congrats, where I live I haven't found anything above 6" and that was with checking on plumbing store.

wharris

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 11:14:06 PM »
I scrounged from a contrstuction site and took some "cut-offs"

PeterNZ

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »
i would suggest that you check whether the plastic you are using is food grade. I thought about using same process until I checked and found virtually all piping sold in hardware stores is not food grade, and can potentially leech harmful chemicals into your cheese. I would most definitely NOT recommend using plastic piping from a hardware store without being 100% certain about it food grade worthiness.

Here is a link to some documentation about food grade plastics:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090606150900AAKF1eh

I absolutely agree. I don't want to spoil your idea but make sure you do KNOW it is food grade plastic. One of my best friends is a head of a plastics company here in NZ and a chemist. During the production of non-food save plastic products a separating agent is used which is a grease containing lead. Then the hot plastic is poured into the mould and it will contain some of this lead. And other chemicals which are potentially poisonous. It is no problem if only cold water runs through them or waste water. But if you keep acidic cheese at higher temperatures in them for hours some of this potentially leeches into your cheeses. I wouldn't use them - ever!

There is a reason why there is food grade plastic and non-food grade.

Cheese

Peter

Stephan

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »
I fully agree with Peter: further to that the C in PVC comes from Chloride....

There is an on-line shop called www.thecheesemouldshop.com that is specialized in.......... cheese moulds!.

They sell all kinds of cheese moulds, all plastic. Moulds without liners, Kadova's, microperforated moulds etc.
They are still expanding the portfolio and every day new types, shapes are added.
From cheap to expensive. Kadova's are fairly priced by the way.
If the mould you are looking for is not in the shop, send them an email and they will find the mould that you are looking for: in food grade, at your budget. They are based in the Netherlands and ship world wide.

Ciao
Stephan

riha

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
thecheesemouldshop.com seems like a good place. When looking at the prices, notice that they don't include VAT, so 19% will be added to all prices.

They also don't say anything about shipping charges, plus their webstore said they don't deliver to Finland, even if they promise to ship "worldwide". We're not that far north.

Anyway, I mailed them. We'll see what comes. That would seem like an okay place to get myself some moulds.

Stephan

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »
I know that they are working on finalizing the shop's details so that might be the reason why not everything is "active" yet.

Ciao
Stephan

riha

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
I just read the reply they send for me. They informed me that they do ship worldwide and that they didn't know why the webstore didn't allow orders to Finland. (Apparently also fixed it, since the website now gives price estimates to Finland.) They also said that order can be placed on email also, not using the website. They were very professional and polite with their reply.

Looking good. Perhaps I will get some moulds without having to order them from US :)

PeterNZ

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 03:55:30 AM »
Interesting shop. But what I don't like is the

Freight costs. After receipt of your order an order confirmation will be send. On this order confirmation you will find the freight costs for your order. 

I think it is bad practice to let someone order and when you confirm you tell them "Oh, by the way, it is another $50 shipping cost". I might contact them and see if they can give me a better quote.

Cheers

Peter

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 AM »
Here's another perspective for those considering PVC for mold-making:

http://www.pvcworkshop.com/PVCsafety.htm

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

riha

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:41 AM »
Peter, this also caught my eye, so I asked about it. This is what they replied: "Shipping costs.
After we have received your order through the shop we can determine the volume and thus the shipping cost to your location. If you prefer, you can bypass the shop and send an email directly to us. Please state the products you intend to purchase and we will respond as soon as we can with information on pricing, lead time and shipping costs.
After that confirmation of conditions there is no change whatsoever in these conditions, assuming you place your order within a two months time frame!)."

So I understand that first I place an order, then I get an order confirmation, and then if I accept it within two month time frame, I pay the price mentioned in the order confirmation.

I am pretty paranoid about shipping costs since I have once ended up paying almost double just because the shop didn't bother to inform me that the item I bought didn't fit "regular" package.

Personally I would prefer that the postage would be calculated in the price. Simple, no fuss. I get annoyed when some shops try to keep the list prices low and then the final bill is something different.

PeterNZ

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 12:25:58 AM »
Peter, this also caught my eye, so I asked about it. This is what they replied: "Shipping costs.
After we have received your order through the shop we can determine the volume and thus the shipping cost to your location. If you prefer, you can bypass the shop and send an email directly to us. Please state the products you intend to purchase and we will respond as soon as we can with information on pricing, lead time and shipping costs.
After that confirmation of conditions there is no change whatsoever in these conditions, assuming you place your order within a two months time frame!)."

So I understand that first I place an order, then I get an order confirmation, and then if I accept it within two month time frame, I pay the price mentioned in the order confirmation.

I am pretty paranoid about shipping costs since I have once ended up paying almost double just because the shop didn't bother to inform me that the item I bought didn't fit "regular" package.

Personally I would prefer that the postage would be calculated in the price. Simple, no fuss. I get annoyed when some shops try to keep the list prices low and then the final bill is something different.

I absolutely agree. I run a business as well and 95% of my orders get shipped using our national postage system. My shipping cost are based on what I pay for shipment. I meanwhile have sorted out a system where I add a weight of an item (doesn't have to be the actual weight) and my web page then calculates a shipping cost. I sometimes get it wrong but most of the time it works. So on average I don't lose any money.

But in saying that I had some customers enquiring about overseas shipping cost and I need to find it out myself first. So that might add some complexity.

Cheers

Peter