Author Topic: Labelling - Unwrapped Aging Cheeses  (Read 3665 times)

darius

Labelling - Unwrapped Aging Cheeses
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:12:54 PM »
What's a good way to mark or ID cheese that's neither waxed nor vac-packed in the curing chamber? I have several that look alike, although they are not.

It seems to me that a toothpick / flag would not be a good idea since they need to be flipped, and poking the toothpick hole doesn't seem like a good idea either.

I only have one shelf for now, which actually is a covered plastic bin.

Thanks

susanky

Re: Labelling - Unwrapped Aging Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »

george

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
I just write what it is on a piece of masking tape and stick that onto the container, lid, or whatever is handy that's close enough to the particular cheese.  Then all I have to worry about is not mixing them up (putting the lid back on backwards or sumfin).

darius

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
Thanks.

Susan, the edible markers might do the trick. Did you read the reviews?

george, here's my temp aging bin... I'm afraid the tape idea might not work as well since they get moved around often.

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
once the rind is dry enough you can use food coloring and a hobby paintbrush to code the wheel with something like
MAN032511  if it were a Manchego made on 3/25/2011

opalcab

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
try letter stamps from harbor freight you can stamp the cheese name right on it or heat the stamp and burn it in the cheese

Have fun with cheese
it not a job its an adventure

Stan

susanky

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »
Darius,
I did read the reviews about the edible markers.  Not impressive.  I haven't used them yet.  But in fact I just bought some.  I went to my local craft store.  I was hoping they would have a different brand.  And I could have tried another store.  But I opened up the box and they looked like they would work just fine.  I'll let you know.  My friend's cow had it's calf a week ago so I'll be back in milk soon.  I miss cheese!
Susan

darius

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:45:59 PM »
Thanks, Susan. I'll be waiting to see how they work for you before I buy any (probably, anyway).

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »
I use snack sized ziplock baggies and a piece of paper that will fit in the baggie.  I write the date of make, the name of the cheese, when it should be eaten, and whatever other info I want to keep.  I add to the information as I think would be useful.  I just keep the baggie label close to the cheese, move it when the cheese gets moved, etc.

robnbill

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 06:52:45 PM »
I used the food grade markers with the cheese labeling disks from New England Cheese Making. I was non-plused by the markers. I pressed the labeled disk into the cheese. However once it was aging, the mold completely covered the label. So I am back to wrting on tape and sticking it to the tops of the aging containers.