Author Topic: wedding cheeses!  (Read 1211 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
wedding cheeses!
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:40:50 PM »
My daughter is getting married 7-5-14, and just asked if I might like to make some cheeses to share during the time for appetizers.  What fun! Well, that is almost 6 months out...  What to make? I can only do a 2 gallon batch at a time since that is what I have equipment to manage. And I only seem to make cheese one or two times a month..... Any suggestions for what to make?
Susan
Susan

Spoons

Re: wedding cheeses!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
That sounds like fun, Susan!

I would suggest 2 things; Doing cheeses you're familiar with, and doing cheeses that are crowd pleasers (nothing that requires an "acquired taste").

Havarti and gouda are good at 4-6 months and as you get closer to the wedding date, brie, camenbert and washed jack cheese are good at 6-8 weeks.

Port Salut/St-Paulin is always an instant hit. It's an unknown cheese but almost everybody likes it after their first bite, and it's ready at around 6-8 weeks.

Lucky you! Sounds like a fun project!

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:22 AM »
A couple of others to consider is a Caerphilly (with or without chives) and maybe a Gruyere if you wanted to do a fondue (beside the chocolate fountain of course  ;).  Good luck and best wishes to the soon-to-be newlyweds!! 

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
Try googling "cheese wedding cakes" just for a fun distraction.  They are beautiful but no one talks about whether the guests like them and how you should cut and divvy them up.  VERY beautiful and elegant though.....

As for a cheese suggestion......I really like some little square molds I bought through Yoav at Artisan Geek.  They are supposed to be disposable but I reuse them.  They are about 1 1/2" square and I use them with a Valencay style recipe and put a leaf on each one to add some extra eye appeal.  I use a Geranium mac. Leaf right after ashing the cheeses.  The leaf darkens as the PC grows around it.  Let me know if you want a photo and I'll attach one.  The cool thing about these little cheeses is that they ripen fast because they are small and are individual servings although I remember eating three once when nobody was looking!   :-[.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:41:19 PM »
Taking the advice of doing some cheeses I am familiar with, today's make is cheddar (with MA4001 and a pinch of FD) that hopefully will be nice in 6 months. Next week will be either a tomme, or asiago.... Then perhaps a havarti or jack for something mild... What fun!!
Susan