Author Topic: Swiss - Uneven Swelling  (Read 1215 times)

janesmilk

Swiss - Uneven Swelling
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:44:19 PM »
Hello,
I have several batches of a Swiss type cheese that are doing what I would consider late blowing. They are all swelling as I would expect them to, but the really curious thing is that 1 of of 5 cheeses in each batch is swelling abnormally on one side or another, not all 5 cheeses from each batch. I cut one open, and it definitely had a crack that proceded to fill up with C02 from the  propionic bacteria ( 2g per 60 gal batch) . There is no bad smell or off flavor, actually it tastes rather good. I'm just curious as to how/why only 1 of 5 is having the "odd"shaped swelling and not the others, is it possible for only one cheese to be exposed to the bacteria after moulding? 

Margaret Morris suggests Sodium Nitrate...I think, Ill have to check- as a way to help reduce this risk, anyone used this?
Is it possible that the crack in the paste was made after the fact? by rough handling and it just filled up with gas now?
Would harder pressing help reduce this?
Is it safe to eat as long as it doesn't have any off taste or smell and it is aged over 60 days?

Also, this cheese us turning out a bit more like a Lacey Swiss, I was hoping for fewer holes.Could I use less propionic and increase weight on the press to solve this problem?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!-