Author Topic: My first Dunlop  (Read 6391 times)

kookookachoo

Re: My first Dunlop
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 10:24:37 PM »
Looks great!  I've only opened a couple of my cheeses, but, like you, they have holes, too.  I'm attributing that to the press also, to satisfactorily explain to myself.   :P  It's not affected the taste, as far as I can tell.  I will have to file this in my to-make list also.  Looks tasty!

JeffHamm

Re: My first Dunlop
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 12:40:35 AM »
Thanks.  This one is a very nice, mild, moist cheddar.  It has a very creamy texture, and it melts beautifully.  My motherinlaw grated some on top of a shepard's pie and it was perfect.   I've melted it on toast in the microwave as well.  Personally, I like just a chunck of it as is, but basically I would put this one in the "do again" list for sure.  I might make one for longer aging, in which case a floc multiplier of 3, rather than 3.5, is probably a better choice.  My understanding (limited though that may be) is that the use of the longer multiplier is good for a quick aging moist cheese (i.e. age up to 3 months) but if you want to keep it for long aging, then you should use a shorter multiplier.

- Jeff