Author Topic: Thermoworks pH meter, any reviews?  (Read 5864 times)

smilingcalico

Thermoworks pH meter, any reviews?
« on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:33 AM »
I saw an old post by Mikeradio about the Thermoworks pH meters.  I can't find any reviews online or in the forum.  Has anyone used one?  At $85 dollars it sounds like a good deal.  Their Thermopen has had great reviews and media coverage (from cooks, books, and tv shows).  Below is a link to the pH meter I'm looking at.  It has a replaceable electrode, while the other pen style ones they make don't seem to. 

http://thermoworks.com/products/pH/8689ph_meter.html

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Thermoworks pH meter, any reviews?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 12:19:02 AM »
A flat electrode is really important for measuring surface pH.

smilingcalico

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:20:10 AM »
I agree, it sort of appeared to be flat to me (in the instruction booklet online).  Do you think I saw it wrong? I'll definitely double check.  I'm hesitant on any purchase right now, as I don't want a piece of junk. I know many seem to complain about the Extech, but they don't rigorously take care of it as you.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:58:42 PM »
I don't know of another meter with a flat electrode in the price range of the Extech 100/110. There are much better meters, but they are also much more expensive.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
I know many seem to complain about the Extech, but they don't rigorously take care of it as you.

I can tell you that I am the proud owner of 3 pH110's.  3, because the first two were junk and the third is yet to be tried.  And I am very rigorous in my use and care of the meters.  That said, I have nothing but the best to say about the company's customer service.  With each call, I was simply sent a replacement meter, without hesitation.  Extraordinarily understanding, and that buys my loyalty, personally. 

On the other hand - does it seem a bit strange that a company so regularly sends a replacement meter - market cost, over $100 - anytime anyone has an issue?  Perhaps it's a fairly common occurrence, as evidenced by just this forum's users, alone? 

I do think there's a pretty serious quality control issue.  As I understand it, once you find one that works, you've found a great meter.  I truly hope so, and am moving forward in good faith.

Quote from: smilingcalico
I agree, it sort of appeared to be flat to me (in the instruction booklet online).  Do you think I saw it wrong? I'll definitely double check.

I agree with Sailor on the flat electrode - the 8689 is just a standard pen-type meter with a glass pH bulb.  The electrode can look flat, because of a plastic, semi-circular bulb guard, but that's it.   If you look at the booklet, page 5, the closeup of the electrode ("2"), you can see the bulb and guard.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:24:34 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:22 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to look. I'll continue my quest, most likely with an Extech.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
Good luck, smiling.  Hope it works out well for you. :)
- Paul

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:48:23 PM »
I have to agree with Arnaud. Extech's customer service is beyond outstanding. They will quickly send a replacement and don't even ask for the other one back. That being said, that also to me indicates that they are aware of quality control issues and are dealing with it head on. I went through 2 before I got one that I feel is completely reliable. For the money I love it. Like I said, you can get a better meter if you want to spend a lot more money.

smilingcalico

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:18 AM »
Thanks, gents, cheeses to y'all!

Helen

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »
Hi smiling,

Since you are looking for phmeter, I just wanted to let you know that I found a good deal for the Extech PH110 (I just purchased it).

http://www.mitchellinstrument.com/extech-exstick-ph100-ph-stick-meter-with-refillable-ph-electrode.html

It's at $90 - compared to $110 on amazon. I thought you might be interested...

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 02:23:38 AM »
Thanks, Helen!  That sounds like a heck of a deal.

BigCheese

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 03:48:28 AM »
I have had great results with my first 110, and I am less than the best at caring for it. After sitting around for 3 months unused it still registered 6.9 in PH7 buffer solution. I was impressed. I trust it.

Tomer1

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
On the other hand - does it seem a bit strange that a company so regularly sends a replacement meter - market cost, over $100  I'll definitely double check.
[/quote]
Its possibly manufactured abroad and accual cost is very low per unit,
What country of origine does it state on the back of the unit?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 11:15:03 AM »
On the other hand - does it seem a bit strange that a company so regularly sends a replacement meter - market cost, over $100  I'll definitely double check.
Its possibly manufactured abroad and accual cost is very low per unit,
What country of origine does it state on the back of the unit?
[/quote]

I think that's a bingo, Tomer.  They're made in China.  I, too, imagine they cost very little to make.

Good opportunity to say, I really can breathe a sigh of relief, and gratitude again to their customer service.  The 3rd unit they sent is, knock on wood, performing beautifully.
- Paul

susanky

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:05 PM »
http://www.mitchellinstrument.com/extech-exstick-ph100-ph-stick-meter-with-refillable-ph-electrode.html

It's at $90 - compared to $110 on amazon. I thought you might be interested...

Thanks for the tip.  I finally ordered one.  I needed the calibration kit ($40 :-\) so I got free shipping too!
Susan