Author Topic: My one and only pepper jack  (Read 2500 times)

mtncheesemaker

My one and only pepper jack
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »
Thanks to the info on this forum, my first (and only so far) pepper jack is a raging success. Must make more. (Excellent on grilled cheese with dill pickles.)

zenith1

Re: My one and only pepper jack
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:30:41 PM »
very nice Pam-what kind of peppers?

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 07:18:18 PM »
That looks very tasty!  Good job.

- Jeff

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
Thanks. I used roasted, peeled poblano peppers that I slightly dried so as not to add moisture to the cheese, and, a crushed, dried paprika pepper for the red color.

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
Looks tasty! I like the large size of the peppers. I might have to try that rather than a puree.

I have a habanero aging, though it feels very hard so I'm not sure how its going to turn out. I tend to like my jack on the softer side.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »
I had to break down and vac bag it after several weeks as it was getting too dried out. That kind of equalized the moisture.

kookookachoo

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Hi, Pam!

I would like to make this for the weekend.  Here's what I'm planning for the peppers (please tell me if it will work, etc): cut up the peppers-jalapeño & red bell or sweet banana, boil, dry, then dehydrate in the oven.  I thought about roasting them but didn't know how that would affect the taste.  I've seen that..I think that was Alex's? not sure...added fresh peppers with no problems, too.  I'm planning on waxing this just to avoid any foreseeable problems. 

Thanks in advance for your input!

PS.  A friend of mine sent me a link on how to make pepper-jack, since I mentioned it to her at lunch the other day...

http://www.ehow.com/how_2308680_make-pepper-jack-cheese.html

I thought that was a bit odd, "cooking" the peppers with the milk..but, what do I know? 

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:27:30 AM »
I used roasted/peeled poblanos as that was what I had, and I like the flavor. I just air dried them for maybe 1 day so they were slightly dehydrated, not totally dry. I had read a discussion on here about not using fresh peppers as that could add moisture to the cheese and create a funky thing during aging.
I have read somewhere here recently, can't remember the topic, about adding something to the milk, maybe to rehydrate?
Anyway, hope yours comes out good!

birdsongmilkmaid

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:21:20 PM »
Now that cheese looks delicious! I've been wanting to made a cheddar or gouda with peppers in it, so it's nice to get a few ideas before I start experimenting.

Naomi

zenith1

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:42:22 PM »
Pam- I like the idea of Pablano's, roasted even better. I made a variation a couple of months ago where I use a combination of Anaheim and Serrano peppers. Then created a natural rind with rubbed mild Ancho Chili powder and a little EVO.

mtncheesemaker

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 02:17:26 AM »
Keith, that sounds good. I keep meaning to try this cheese from an older thread. Thanks for the reminder to try the pepper rind.
Have you tasted yours yet?
Pam