Author Topic: First Cam Try In The Fridge  (Read 2789 times)

9mmruger

First Cam Try In The Fridge
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
Hi all, just a quick report, no pix yet, but they will follow shortly.  I made my 1st attempt at a Cam this past Saturday.  I followed two recipes, kinda mixed them.  I used 2 gallons of pasteurized whole milk,  1/2 tsp of calcium chloride, 1/4 tsp flora danica, and 1/8th tsp of Meso MM, and 1/4 tsp Pen Can.  I used 92-96% Chymosin & 8% Pepsin(enzymes) for rennet.  Riki C's book calls for 85 degrees and 200 Cheese Recipes calls for 90 degrees.  I split the difference at 87 to 88 degrees.

I inoculated the milk and let it rest for 60 minutes, then added the rennet.  Cut the curd 30 minutes later, let it rest for 5 minutes and then stirred gently for 15 minutes more.  Then into the hoops.  Flipped at 2 hours and flipped twice more at 2 hours each.  Then let it set over night.  Removed the hoops in the morning and salted and into the fish poachers.  2 wheels for each poacher. 

Now I will flip daily and dry out the poachers, and pat dry the wheels.  Waiting for fuzz.  :)

I will take pix at the first sign of the good white fuzz.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:58:47 PM by Mr. Kim »

mtncheesemaker

Re: First Cam Try In The Fridge
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 06:44:46 PM »
Good luck!

george

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:49:23 AM »
Hope your first turns out great!

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
30 minutes gave you X6 flac ?

9mmruger

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
30 minutes gave you X6 flac ?

Not sure, did not use that method.  Just had a good curd break at 30 minutes, so I cut.  It fell within the time frame of the two recipes so I was not too concerned about it.

9mmruger

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Slip Skin, what to do, what to do?  Peal skin off and let new develop?

Helen

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »
Mr. Kim, what are the aging conditions? Could you also post a picture of your cheeses?

If the slip skin is not too developed, I would suggest aging them in a colder environment. If your cheeses are already in your regular fridge, I would take a look at the humidity.

9mmruger

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
They are in my cheese cave at about 53 F.  They are in poachers with the sliding vent at the top.  I'm thinking that humidity might be the issue.  I have been flipping every day and drying the moisture.  Will take some pix tonight and post tomorrow.  I don't have internet at home yet, next week!  :)

Helen

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 06:39:14 PM »
If you have a decent bloom, I would recommend putting the cheese in a container in your regular fridge. That will make for slower development but I have found that this helps regulate/slow down slip skin issues. Check your cheese regularly in your fridge and wipe any water that may appear on/in your container.

If the slip skin is not too far developed, I would not peel off the skin.

I am sure people more experienced than me will provide you with further advice.

9mmruger

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:16 PM »
Well, here are the pix.  I pealed the skin off, patted dry and hopefully it will redevelop.

george

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:52 AM »
Mr. Kim, that's what my bries looked like with the slip skin, but mine was mostly around the sides, not so much the top/bottom surfaces.   I didn't have that problem with the cams, though, but that may be because I petted them every day, much more around the sides, when I flipped them.  Might even go so far as to say I smooshed the sides a little bit patting them down.  That seemed to work, 'cause I didn't really have any slips on any of the four sets of cams so far.  Besides, I just like saying that I have to go pet the cheese. ;D

As far as regrowth - can you spray some PC on to help them along?  Probably worth a shot.  I just started spraying my 4th batch, as they got some fairly decent growth at first (have been inoculating the milk, not spraying up to now) but it sort of stalled.  Just did one side yesterday, will do second side today, hopefully in a week or so I'll have some better results with that batch.  They're already about 2 weeks old, I think.

Anyway - a little rambling, but hope some of it helps anyway.

9mmruger

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have thought about spraying, we'll see.  I am wondering about the slow growth on the tops and bottoms however.  If too much salt is used would this be the result?  Slow mold formation.

george

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:59:31 PM »
That I don't know (the salt).  I do know, though, that when the mold first started to appear on mine, the sides got way fuzzier more quickly than the tops and bottoms did.  Those took a while longer to get full coverage, even when I was patting down the sides like crazy.  (Not sure of the exact time differential - I've gotten really quick coverage compared to lots of other peoples' experiences even though I don't seem to be using more PC than they do - but I've been seeing the first fuzzies around Day 3 or 4 on most batches, and the sides are fully covered 3-4 days before the tops and bottoms are.)  I also flipped every single day for the first three weeks at least.  Once they go into the fridge I get lazier about that.   ;)

9mmruger

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »
I have been flipping and patting dry daily.  My cheese fridge is running about 53 degrees and I got the first signs of mold development on the sides at about 4 days.  Now I am seeing it coming on the tops as you can see in the pix.  Yesterday, I really dried down the sides and handle them with my fingers (washed real good first), hoping that the mold on the tops would spread to the sides again.  Crossing my fingers....