Author Topic: TA-61 (s. thermophilus) and MD-88 (or -89) in small packs and curd making...  (Read 2901 times)

tananaBrian

Hi,

I want to try LinuxBoy's recipe for extended shelf life cheese curds (see recipe at the Washington Cheese Guild web site), but it needs s. thermophilus (TA-61) and either MD-88 or MD-89 for the small batch non-professional types ...but I'm not finding any outlet that sells both cultures in small packs (a few packets where each is intended to be used with 1 or 2 gallons of milk).  I see that Leeners.com has small packs for the s. thermophilus, but doesn't sell MD-88.  The DID however send me email very recently that said they would VERY SOON be carrying small pack amounts of MD-88 and MD-89 in their online store ...which means I could buy from them and pay shipping just once.  Does anyone know of another source that stocks small pack TA-61 and MD-88 in the same store?  New England Cheesemaking Supply Co. sells both but only in large packs ...and since I just wrote to them, I don't have an answer on small pack availability yet...

Brian

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Dairy Connections sells both S. thermo and MD-89 in small packs.

Edit:  Sorry, just saw that by "small" you're talking 1-2 gallon size, not the commercial "small" DCU.  Still, at $6.46, not bad, and you can keep it in the freezer. :)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:44:21 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul

tananaBrian

Good call.  I wrote and asked about MD-88 at Dairy Connections since their prices are so much better on a per-batch scale.  Their "small" treats a much larger volume of milk than similar "small" packets sold at other locations.  $20 for the small TA-61 and small MD-89.  At a competitor, it costs $26 for TA-61 plus MD-88 to treat less than a quarter the gallons of milk...

Brian

PS: How does MD-88 compare to MD-89 for flavor, ripening (pH drop) speed, and other characteristics such as eyes in the cheese?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Tanana, not certain, but I think MD-88 is just a phage alternative to MD-89.  For all intents and purposes, essentially equivalent.
- Paul

tananaBrian

"phage alternative"?  Hmmm... what's that?

Brian

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Tanana, culture bacterias are subject to attack from bacteriophages, viruses.  Much like enzymatic action, phages have specificities - they can only attack certain bacterial strains, with certain receptors.  "Phage alternative" is a means to basically deal with the ubiquity of phages - they are everywhere.  There are many tools to deal with them.  "Phage alternative" simply means a culture rotation, to minimize the buildup of phage concentration in a given culture stock.
- Paul

tananaBrian

Tanana, culture bacterias are subject to attack from bacteriophages, viruses.  Much like enzymatic action, phages have specificities - they can only attack certain bacterial strains, with certain receptors.  "Phage alternative" is a means to basically deal with the ubiquity of phages - they are everywhere.  There are many tools to deal with them.  "Phage alternative" simply means a culture rotation, to minimize the buildup of phage concentration in a given culture stock.

Here's what Dairy Connection stated in response to the email that I sent them ...basically it says exactly what you said (you were both answering the same questions in parallel!):

"Hi Brian,

They are a series and they have the same composition used for rotation. The difference is so small its undetectable. Used as a adjunct you would not be able to tell the difference between the two. Built for phage protection.

Thanks, Patrick"

Sooo... for my purposes, I will order either MD-88 or MD-89 and not worry about it ...call them equivalent for my kitchen experiments.  I'll go do it right now  ;D

Brian

dthelmers

I've recently placed a couple of orders with www.thecheesemaker.com and am happy with the products and service. He has 50 dose packs of both of these at $16.97 each, shipping included.
I tried the fresh curd recipe with MM100 and Thermo C; didn't cheddar the curds and made a pressed cheese. We finished it within a week, very flavorful. I'm going to try washing the curd next time and see how it comes out.
Dave in CT

tananaBrian

I'll check out The Cheesemaker web site as well ...however I did just place an order for the large-mesh mat material, some MM100, some TA61, and some MD89 at dairyconnection.com.  I appreciate the links...

Brian