Author Topic: grass and black sand cheddar - cheddar aging temp and humidity?  (Read 5739 times)

Sing_cheese

grass and black sand cheddar - cheddar aging temp and humidity?
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »
I made a grass (chive) and black sand cheddar over  new years.  I think it has come out pretty good.  Any advise on aging temp? I have it in a 60f cave at 80% humidity for the moment.  I plan on waxing it in the coming days and will be posting the complete photo journey of this cheese later in the week.  The pic below is after taking it out of the press for 24 hours at 50 kilos. 

The cheese was made from 35 liters of raw milk and weighs about 5.5 kg pressed.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:36:19 AM by Sing_cheese »

Likesspace

Re: grass and black sand cheddar - cheddar aging temp and humidity?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:35:15 AM »
Sing,
That is one fantastic looking cheese and deserves a "cheese".....
So, I gave you one.
I've recently discoverd just how difficult it is when dealing with a larger cheese. It's not for the faint of heart and takes some getting used to.
As is said in my part of the woods: "You did good".
As for aging, I usually put mine in a 48 degree fridge for 2 days. I used to try to dry them at room temperature and found that they never did form a good rind and were still a bit soft, even at 7 days.
After moving one cheese to a 55 degree room I found that the cheese did form a rind and dried completely so I decided to try an even lower temperature. Well once I started aging in my "cave" I don't think I'll ever try anything else.
Right now I have a CoJack in my cave (8" diameter x 5" tall) and after the first day it could be waxed. The surface feels completely dry and it has a nice firm feel. I plan on waxing tomorrow evening, just to make sure that there is no moisture left on the surface of the cheese.
Again, you have produced a gorgeous cheese, You should be proud of your efforts.

Dave

Sing_cheese

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:06 AM »
Thanks dave,

Below is the link to the recipe, process followed and pictures of making of the Grass and Black Sand Cheddar:

http://sites.google.com/site/urbanfarmsteadcheeselog/Home/grass-and-black-sand-cheddar-31-12-08

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:57:49 AM »
Looks good, you're so lucky to be able to get fresh raw milk.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
two more pics before waxing (the second cheese with my son is the big parma made on the 28th, not waxing that one)

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:07:44 PM »
sing, two great looking cheeses, congrats! I looked at your webpage records and couldn't see it, is the "black sand" actually peppercorns (presumably from Malaysia)? Tea made a peppercorn cheese.

You are going to need a big party when you cut them open ;D.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
They are cracked peppercorns ( I bnaged them up with a mortor a bit) from Sumatra actually.  The big Parma I made on my 49th birhtday and will age it a year and open it when I turn 50.

Gerrit

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
Gerrit, I'm pretty sure those cheeses will be all you need to live, they sound very tasty.

Tea

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 08:13:13 PM »
Hi Sing and great looking cheeses.  Hadn't thought of adding things to a cheddar, but why not?  In my pepato recipe, it said to boil the peppercorns before adding the lot to the curds and whey, just before turning out and pressing.
I gave both to a friend and she said that they were wondering.  So I hope yours ages well too.  What a treat that will be for your birthday.

BTW what are you using as your mould for that size cheese?

Sing_cheese

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:39:36 AM »
Hi Tea,

I made the mold or press cylinder by cutting the bottom off a 24 centimeter stainless steel stock pot and then filling the bottom of the pot to use it as a follower. I also built a simple press that could take a cylinder of about 35 centimeters (I would need 100 Liter stock pot for that and after working with 50 Liter batches, I dont think I can go that big any time soon).  It works really well for making big cheeses as any batch over about 25 Liters where to big for my sore bought press and molds. 

I am finding that building the kit for things and solving problems are a great part of the cheesemaking.  My next project is to build a cold smoker so that I can cold smoke provolone, mozzerala and cheddar.  Any one tried this?

Gerrit

Tea

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
Personally I haven't tried this yet, although I am in the process of organising it.  Reg who occassionally posts here has though, and there are some posts and pics of their smokers here somewhere if you want to do a search.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 09:34:21 AM »
Gerrit, is there a specific shelf life for this cheese as you have vegetables (grass) in it? Do you think they will degrade or decompose?

Sing_cheese

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 12:49:54 AM »
I do not think there will be a shelf life issue as I used cracked pepper and dried chives.  I boiled these for 15 minutes and used 1.5 cups of the juice in the cheese milk.  I then added the chives and cracked pepper corns for visual effect when I mixed the milled curds.  Was planning on testing the cheese at about 3 months. 

Gerrit

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
I like the part about using the rehydrate water in the milk, sounds tasty.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:53 AM »
following directions... smelled really nice as well.