Author Topic: So, My Tomme Story... (SOS, please!)  (Read 2412 times)

kookookachoo

So, My Tomme Story... (SOS, please!)
« on: March 29, 2011, 04:21:50 PM »
Hi!

I made tomme yesterday!  I say that, exclaiming out loud.  I don't know if, at this stage, I'm even ready for it yet, but after much argument with my inner monologue person, I buckled down to curiosity & did it.  Frankly, this cheese has been an intimidating entity, hovering in the back of my mind.  Mostly cos I'm afraid of the mold part of this.  Not like EEK MOLD! kind of afraid, more like, "I just have a feeling I'll screw it up, bite more than I can chew (ha) & end up with an ooey-phooey mess!".   Sooo, I decided to make this, using linuxboy's recipe, sans Micodore, mycoderm, geo, b. linens...you get the point.  Quite frankly, I know it's a really pessimistic view, and quite unlike me, but, I'm not really expecting a lot from this cheese.  I just wanted to get the "feel" of the process/making of. 

I used 3 gallons non-homogenized milk (folly for an experiment, I know-but, I think there's that inner optimist asserting herself!).  I did half the measurment of the MA culture with half of Flora Danica-mostly cos my (ever)helpful hubby was measuring for me, grabbed the wrong packet...he had already added it to the water in the measuring cup, before I saw what color packet he was holding, yelled "noooo!" and shooed him out of the kitchen.  I didn't want to waste it, so after come lip-biting, added the other half of the 1/8 tsp of the MA (I couldn't find my regular measuring spoons, so used the pinch/dash one).  So, I'm already sweating it at this early point.  (sigh)  Floc time was 14 mins (Ay!).  I just peeked in at 15 mins after..and there were some bubbles!  Why?  They weren't rampant or anything, just a few big, globby looking ones that didn't pop, just pretty much hovered on top.  They did pop when I floated my plastic cup, though, so I thought ok, maybe just air trapped (I hoped).  I overshot the cutting by a couple of mins cos I had to mop up an aquarium spill.  The timer went off, I frantically washed/scrubbed/sanitized my hands...then cut.  Pooh.  The curds were a bit too not-done looking, but I finished cutting & let it rest.  Pretty uneventful stirring, apart from the "milkiness" of the whey.  It just wasn't as clear as other cheeses I've made.  There seemed to be tiny flecks of curds all over. 

The first photo is when I first stirred after I cut-I didn't have time to do a lot of pics after that point.   

The second photo is when I drained, after stirring for 30 mins.  It took about 25 mins to get to a 100F, so I turned off the stove, yelled at my hubby to come & get the pot out of the makeshift double broiler & finished stirring the last few minutes on the countertop.  I drained most of the whey out, left the curds in probably an inch or so of whey over & pressed with my hands. 

I drained the rest of the whey & curds in a cheesecloth-lined colander (photo 2), put it back in the pot (putting the pot back in the bath), tilted it sideways to drain the rest of the whey, while I got the mold ready.  I got it all to fit in the mold, set it back in the pot, with a half-gallon water in a milk jug on top, flipped it 3 times that way, finally moved to my press after an hour.  Pressed it overnight at 15lbs.  Got it out this AM, and now it's in a whey-brine solution.  It's at 3lbs 2 ounces, I'm flipping in the brine every hour & a half, so far.  And now that's where I'm at. 

Did I do anything terribly wrong that accounts for the bubbles & the loose curds (right after cutting)? 

I'm hoping to set this in marc & wine (haven't decided which yet-any advise?).  My hubby will be making wine this weekend, so I've already got dibs on the whole mess (he's not sure yet if he'll make grapes or cherries yet). 

TIA for the input!

(PS. The 3rd photo is of the bubbles, I tried taking better pics without flash-flash just made it all a white blob.  You can't see them too much in the pic, only the biggest bubble, but they're all over the top)

Oh & I forgot, in the bubbles photo, there (I'm reading my notes), there was foam on the top, too, like on the sides of the pot.  I've not had that before, either, like miniscule bubbles. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:42:23 PM by kookookachoo »

kookookachoo

Re: So, My Tomme Story...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »
Oof!  So, I have an SOS....

I checked my tomme today, it's a bit bowing out on the sides, a bit swollen (all my other cheeses have remained straight (for lack of a better word).  And to add to my worries, it seems to be "weeping" on some of the sides. 

Attached photos...the first one, you can see some of the moisture seeping out & the second one, the slight swelling. 

Can this be rescued?  I would really appreciate your help, old cheeses!

Thanks!

Steff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Re: So, My Tomme Story... (SOS, please!)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:09:43 PM »
Well I am by no means an expert, but at 3 gallons you are looking at about a 1.5 to 2 kg cheese.

If you are air drying it will expell moisture that is normal, at least with my cheeses I see some liquid from time to time.  As for the buldging or barrel shape, that is normal as the cheese settles/dries/expells moisture.  If you are concerned, I watched a show about a farm in the Netherlands that ties a cloth band around their Goudas so they do not loose their desired shape.  A Cheese Girdle if you will.  I also am assuming that the little circle buldges are from your mould.

I think your cheese looks good.

kookookachoo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:13:50 PM »
Whew!  Ok, that's definitely reassuring.  This is actually the first time I've noticed any wetness or seepage.  I guess I didn't really pay close attention before, though I have felt the sushi mats are a bit damp'ish.  I need to show my panic who's boss, I guess.   :P

Thanks, Ian! 

kookookachoo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:48:49 PM »
Ok, the latest on my tomme.  I have been washing it down with just apple cider vinegar solution.  I don't have any mold added to the tomme when I made it, just the meso, as I hadn't had any on hand at that time.  I didn't get to check on my cheeses or wash the tomme down yesterday like I'd intended.  So, the last time was Wednesday morning.  By the time it occured to me last night, it was 11:30, I was in bed in pj's & didn't want to get up, so thought I'd do it in the AM.  Anyway, I just did a few minutes ago & found all sorts of white fuzzies on the rind!!  Now, I understand there's all sorts of flora (as well as fauna, I'm sure!) in basements, cellars, etc.  But, my other cheeses don't have this sprouting on them.  I noticed the Lancashire had some powdery stuff, that's about it. 

Now, do I just let this be or should I brush & wash this off? 

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:44:58 PM »
Up to you really,
The type of surface mold\yeast is what difference natural rind tommes.
White mold is the variation Tomme Blanche.

kookookachoo

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:27 PM »
So, in other words, it's ok, will (hopefully) help with the taste (for the better..again, hopefully) & if I do keep it, no worries?  And since it's there, do I stop washing the rind then?  (I know it seems obvious, but I want a reaffirmation :P)  The only mold I've grown was on bread & that wasn't entirely all mine, either.   ;)

PS. I'm assuming this will eventually die a natural death when it's consumed all it can, right?  And another question, too...would I be able, later on, to immerse/wash this in marc, like I intended? 

Brie

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
Kookoo-wash in vinegar and salt solution, then dry out. You can then add flavoring rind solution to complete the tomme of your dreams. Good luck!

kookookachoo

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 03:35:43 AM »
Kookoo-wash in vinegar and salt solution, then dry out. You can then add flavoring rind solution to complete the tomme of your dreams. Good luck!

Thank you, Brie!  I will definitely do that.  I'm looking at my time schedule for it, I will be washing for a few weeks yet then do the rind flavoring.  My boys are really fascinated about the mold growing..and apparently, so is my hubby.  He messed with it, barehanded & of course, he got busted cos he left a nice fingerprint impression on the top!  I swear....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 05:58:13 AM »
Kookoo, your cheese looks very nice. Appears to be a nice tight knit to the rind. You've overcome a lot of the problems that cheeses encounter...crevices & pits for invaders to take up residence.

I agree with Brie. Knock that bloom down with a daily (or every other day, depending) brine wash. It looks like there is some accelerated drying on the top edges. What temp/humidity are you at?

It would appear that your better half is interested or just curious about the cheesemaking process. Put him to work. Have him snap pics as you move through your process. Otherwise, he and anyone else should find your cheesemaking operation OFF-LIMITS to reduce the incidence of infection. And no laying on of the hands, please. Cleanliness & fastidiousness will help you produce a wonderful cheese.

Keep up the good work. Nice clear shot of the weeping. Brought a tear to my eye...  :'(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

kookookachoo

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 03:25:42 PM »
Ha!  I get a bit weepy when I see that photo, too, Boofer.   :P I wiped that sucker down today, brushed the moldy stuff off using ACV & a butter muslin cloth.  I have to brush them off after with my cheese brush as the cloth seems to leave some itty bitty fibers on the cheese surface.  I'll be doing this daily until I leave for Florida on the 20th.  I'm hoping the evening of the 19th, I can put the tomme in a wine brine/soak(?). 

Tomer1

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:37 PM »
  He messed with it, barehanded & of course, he got busted cos he left a nice fingerprint impression on the top!  I swear....

My dad is like that  ^-^
No regard for sanitation and food safty , he can cut veg for a salad right after prepering raw meat on it and when I explain for the 1000th time that I dont want food poisoning he just says "ahhh non sense".