Author Topic: Difference between MM100 and Flora Danica?  (Read 12119 times)

george

Difference between MM100 and Flora Danica?
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »
What is the functional difference between the two?  Not being the scientifically-minded type, it seems like they contain more or less the same strains and I don't understand what the differences are between the strains anyway?  I'm just wondering where I would want to use one rather than the other and what the effect on the cheese would be between them - especially since the MM100 is much less expensive than the FD.

Any enlightenment greatly appreciated.   :)

linuxboy

Re: Difference between MM100 and Flora Danica?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
No, they're not the same. FD has Leuconostoc, for more buttery flavor formation and thicker set in lactic curd.

dthelmers

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »
Flora Danica has Leuconostoc mesenteroides in additon to LL, LLC, and LLD. I switched over to MM100 last time I ordered because it was cheaper, and so far I haven't noticed a difference. A quick search of the archives seems to show that leuconostoc mesenteroides improves yield in cream cheese style cheese. I've been using both FD and MM100 for cream cheese, pressed cheese and butter.
Dave in CT

george

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:30:09 PM »
Ah.  This is why I was so confused.  The description at cheesemaking.com of FD does not include Leuconostoc.  I think I'll double-check the mostly-empty package I already have from them and see what THAT says.

In any event - thank you both very very muchly!

FRANCOIS

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »
The major difference is that FD tastes terrible, MM100 tastes pleasant.

The only reason anyone uses FD is for phage resistance, that's it's only redeeming quality.

smilingcalico

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
Haha, careful, Francois, not everybody has the same tastes.  FD is actually a great culture for fresh chevre.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:56 PM »
 phage resistance?
You mean short lag time to out compete other bacterias?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 12:04:40 AM »
No, I mean phage resistance.  CHRs FD has multiple strains of each species (not sure about Danisco's), so if you have a phage the odds are astronimically low that it will actually affect starter performance.  If one strain drops out it's not a big deal and phage is strain dependent.  FD is the ultimate lazy man's starter, it's used widely in industry because it's so versatile and phage resistant.  It gets used for hard cheese, semi soft, fresh...you name it.  I can't stand the flavour of it though, it's only mildly passable to me if it's used in a  cheese with heavy flavouring (like cumin gouda).

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
Francois, Aroma B uses the same mix of bacteria but in different proportions and with different strains. Do you feel the same way about Aroma B?

FRANCOIS

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 01:32:58 AM »
What do mean the same way?  I haven't used Aroma B in years so I don't really remember what it tastes like.  I don't recall despising it though.  As far as versatility, I'd have to look at the strains and ratios.

george

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:39 AM »
Okay, when I woke up this morning, I realized that I had no concept of the Leuconostoc at all - for some reason I'd always thought that the diacetylactis was responsible for the "buttery" flavor.  So what does that do, as opposed to what the Leuconostoc does?  (sorry if that one's been asked a bazillion times before)

Francois, I think you may just have solved a puzzlement to me - apparently people around here share your tastes!  When I first found a nice simple Havarti recipe, I made four of them, using four different sets of cultures - one with C101 from NE Cheesemaking, one with a buttermilk culture, and two with Flora Danica, only with differerent amounts of it.  Five different sets of people had "havarti tasting" parties, and I'd expected the one with more FD to be the most popular, closely followed by the buttermilk one.  But nope, all five taste test results came back with only a couple of individuals actually liking the one with more FD the best.  Definitely going to keep that in mind.

Oh, by the way, the pack I have is actually a CHR Hansen package with a NE Cheesemaking instruction label pasted on.  Maybe I'll switch to Aroma B on a lark, when I need more.  Would be nice to try.

And despite what I said about not understanding the scientific bits, from my heavy reading of this fantabulous forum at least SOME of it must be getting through, apparently by osmosis.  I mean, I'm actually starting to think in terms of culture names/numbers and sech ...  ;D

garbetsp

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 04:14:52 AM »
Flora danica has a really strong flavor that it produces, and a really intense mouthfeel. You might like it or you might not. Personally I love it, but it's not for all cheese styles, nor palettes. If expense is a concern, I found local cultured buttermilk, 'Friendship', has a similar but more balanced profile. MM100 is a more neutral palette, and as noted less expensive. I love the idea of a tasting party. I've got 2 cheddars aging with different cultures with the same milk source. Maybe I should put up an FD cheddar.

mikey687

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
This thread is fascinating!

I just bought some MM100 and Flora Danica and was wondering which one to use in a Gouda this week when I looked at the contents of each.

Glad I chose the M100, but next one I make I'll do with FD to see what the taste difference is like.