Author Topic: Meltability - Poor, Why?  (Read 3974 times)

OlJarhead

Meltability - Poor, Why?
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:39:03 PM »
My son ran a 'melt test' (he's very scientific minded) and discovered that our home made cheddar doesn't melt very well.

Is this normal?

Scarlet Runner

Re: Meltability - Poor, Why?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
I thought not melting had to do with too much (or too little? can't remember) acid in the cheese. I'd like to know as well.  I opened several cheeses this month (Monterey Jack #1 and #2, a Farmhouse cheddar and a Gouda) and none of them melt. I don't think this is normal.  My Queso Fresco a while back didn't melt either- I think THAT is normal.

Hope to hear from some that know...

OlJarhead

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
I thought not melting had to do with too much (or too little? can't remember) acid in the cheese. I'd like to know as well.  I opened several cheeses this month (Monterey Jack #1 and #2, a Farmhouse cheddar and a Gouda) and none of them melt. I don't think this is normal.  My Queso Fresco a while back didn't melt either- I think THAT is normal.

Hope to hear from some that know...

Interesting...never heard of this before until my son did the test and then it was kinda interesting...my 5 month old cheddar (first ever) just didn't melt -- my kurds in last cheeses didn't either.

OlJarhead

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
I read yesterday that low fat content can cause cheese to not melt very well as well as being too dry (Parmesan).  I think I saw something about acid content as well and am hoping someone else will chime in soon.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
Hey OlJarhead,

I had a few minutes to poke around on the forum.  What I found is that acid and fat and some other things all contribute to melting.  Sounds like cheese must have enough acid to melt, but not too much.  And, higher fat I believe increases melt, as you indicated.  See these links:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,3045.msg24738.html#msg24738 (DeejayDebi's post of an informational paper)

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5737.msg41935.html#msg41935 (melting issues in Colbys)

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5838.msg44762.html#msg44762 (over acidified cheese discussion)

OlJarhead

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:39:02 PM »
DOH!  Guess I could have tried that....thanks for squaring me away!

OlJarhead

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:41:33 PM »
Hmmm....ok my cheese displays some of the signs of over acidification (is that a word?) -- they are a bit flaky, kinda like sharp cheddar but only in 4-5 months, and don't melt.

However they aren't sour, have excellent flavor and appear to have a nice rubbery texture in the first few months.

I'll keep reading.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:38:53 AM »
You sound like your in a better spot with your cheese than I.  Maybe your non-melting issues are more subtle than mine.  Let us know if you figure something out from your reading; sorry I can't be of much help. hopefully we'll hear from others...

OlJarhead

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:05:31 AM »
You sound like your in a better spot with your cheese than I.  Maybe your non-melting issues are more subtle than mine.  Let us know if you figure something out from your reading; sorry I can't be of much help. hopefully we'll hear from others...

I'm suspecting a combination of the milk quality (store bought milk - 3.5% fat) and perhaps short cooking times on the curds after draining but I'm unsure.  I'm going to sample the new ones soon.

OlJarhead

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 03:49:23 AM »
Ran some tests today on two week old cheese.  It melts but not as well as medium Tillamook cheddar.  The difference is that when the commercial cheddar melts it appears to have oil in it (fat?) which is more obvious when it melts.  This leads me to believe that I just need to add some cream to my milk when I make cheese if I want it to melt -- but I could be mistaken.

The cheese prior to melt testing.  Ripe, young and needing another 6 weeks to age but still good -- notice the dryness of the cheese.  I'm not sure why but I'll mention in my main thread (3rd attempt at Cheddar) and see if anyone comments.

Melted -- pretty soft and almost liquid when eaten.  Actually quite good too.

Close up