Author Topic: anyone tried to make something like epoisses  (Read 11868 times)

Tea

Re: anyone tried to make something like epoisses
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »
Hi Sing, I was wondering if this thread has helped you in finding the answers you were looking for?

I would love to work with you on this cheese, but I need to set up a better cave arrangement first, before I could commit to doing so.  The softer cheese intrigue me also, and these are the ones that I am wanting to perfect also.

Sing_cheese

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:46 AM »
Tea,

This thread has brought out a heap of suggestions.  I have had very little luck with lactic acid curd formation.  Or perhaps I have just too chicken to try the smelly curds that Ihave formed using this method (and I have wasted 3 patches of 12.5 Liters of milk on this already).

I have taken Oude Kasse's advice and put up a batch of Tallegio (peter dixon recipe) this past weekend.  Here is the link to the process and some early pictures of what I did:

http://sites.google.com/site/urbanfarmsteadcheeselog/Home/tallegio-11-01-09

I figure if I can make the tallegio turn out OK then I am on my way to making something like epoisses.  I cant resist the temptation to experiment and try to speed the learning process so I split the batch into two and am trying the following varients

Batch one (3 cheeses) - age in colder cheese cave ~45f and wash with brine solution every two days

Batch two (3 cheeses) - age in warmer cheese cave _54f spraw with b-linens, wash with brine every two days for first 10 days and then wash with Marc every other day there after. 

I will age both batches about 5 weeks before giving them a try.

I am also putting these in plastic humidity boxes (tupperware like I use for Camemberts) as my caves tend to run at around 75% humidity and I have trouble getting good mold growth (my other attempts that got to this stage in the open cheese cave were all hard like hockey pucks). 

Many thanks to all who have made input on this thread.  I will keep you posted as the cheeses develop.

Gerrit

Sing_cheese

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:37:41 AM »
I just did my first spraying of B-linens on the four cheeses on the right in this picture.  I am using the three on the right as a control group using the peter dixon recipe for tallegio.  I plan on starting to wash the B-linen treated cheeses in Marc every other day after about of week of B-linen development.  Anyone know when I should start seeing the B-linen orange coloring start to show.  I am aging this batch in ~54f cave and the control batch in my colder cave (~45f).

Gerrit

Sing_cheese

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 01:39:32 PM »
The cheeses are now about 1 week in the cave had been washing with 5% brine solution (control group) and the warmer cave ones with 5% plus b linens. No mold of an kind yet or color.  How long till the orange color from B-linens should start to show?

Thanks,

Gerrit

Tea

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
My cheese book says that after 3-4 weeks of ripening a sticky orange surface will start to appear.
So you may have a few more weeks before you see anything.  HTH

chilipepper

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
If you have not already read through this site there is some good information there: Fromagerie-Berthaut

I found this statement very interesting (quote from their site)

"A patient re-wiping precedes the maturing of about five weeks, during
which the cheese receives manual and individual care, two to three times a
week, with water loaded more and more with Marc de Bourgogne. Its rind
then slowly takes on a beautiful red-orange tint. Its aroma is rich, its
flavours stay sweet and subtle."

Here is some info on Marc de Bourgogne.  Basically a spirit distilled from spent grapes.

What would be interesting to know if there is still B. linens utilized or if somehow the Marc de Bourgogne creates the similar reaction?  I would think you would still need the B. linens bacterium.  So to what effect does the spirit have on the rind?

Sing_cheese

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 12:45:45 AM »
This is basically what I am trying to do.  HAving had poor luck with real lactic acid renetting, am using tallegio rcipe as a base as the tallegio base that have tried before at least has similar texture and form.  I am using Marc De Chamgagne as it is the only Marc that I have been able to find.  It is made the same way the marc in epoisses but a slightly different grape remains from the wine pressing.  It is basically like a Grappa and I assume the correct marc is near the same.  Have been washing with a 5% brine and b-linen laced solution ecery other day and will start to add the marc to the mixture later in the week.

I have some plane tellegio's from the same batch that are just getting a plain wash with brine at the same schedule.

Tea

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 08:14:06 PM »
Well what ever happens keep us informed on how this one goes.  I am watching this one with interest.
Best of luck.