Author Topic: Cheddar Curds Not Cooked Long Enough - Aging?  (Read 3642 times)

OlJarhead

Cheddar Curds Not Cooked Long Enough - Aging?
« on: April 03, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »
OK so as many of you have read, I've been trying to make cheddar and eventually realized that without cooking the curds for a lengthy period of time I'm not yet making 'cheddar'...with that in mind (that I cooked them all of 15 minutes after draining the whey) should the cheese be aged like cheddar anyway?  Or should I just eat it at any time and try again, this time with more time to ensure a fully cooked curd?

My last two were very good mind you, the first was actually far better at 5 months (in every aspect except one -- a little bitterness perhaps from the veggie rennet) and my second continued to improve up to 4 months (when it disappeared into friends and family's mouths) but I'm curious if the aging matters much since I basically skipped the last 1-2 hours of the recipe (cooking the curd after draining the whey).

Thoughts?
THanks!

george

Re: Cheddar Curds Not Cooked Long Enough - Aging?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
I'll be interested in this as well, since I'm not "really" making cheddar either (for one thing, I cut the curds too big).  I've just been aging mine as if they're "real" cheddar and they come out just fine and tasty, but creamier/moister.  I'm guessing the same thing will happen with yours since you didn't cook the curd as long - but now you have me wondering if the extra moisture really would mess with long-term aging.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
Yes, whatever cheese you make, you may age at commercial cheddar temps, or higher at continental cheese temps. There's nothing extremely unique about cheddar that makes its aging process drastically different.

You can eat at any time you want. Of course, the flavor will change over time.

If you want to make a cheddar and use a cheddaring process, then do that. If not, then create your own cheese.

George, a more moist cheese has a shorter shelf life and tends to be at optimum flavor for a shorter period of time. And yes, it does age faster.

george

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
Ah, thank you.  So far no "cheddar" of mine has lived past about 4 months (hey, I was hungry!), but last week I started trying to stock up, so to speak, with the intent that maybe SOME of them might  make it at least a LITTLE longer.  So I managed four last week, but I won't worry too much about rushing to do many many many over the next couple of weeks (even for us, there's only so much cheese we can eat in a week!). 

OlJarhead

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:01:23 PM »
Very good thanks LB :)

I figured as much but was curious as my son is here and might like to try one ;)  They are very young though.

My last two cheeses we sampled throughout the aging from about 1 month through 5 when they were finally devoured and besides a little bitterness to the 5 month cheese (what little was left) they did get better with age in texture as well as flavor.

lwybrant

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »
The temperature is so hard to regulate, i used a school hotplate that was supposed to get up to 300 degrees but using a double boiler system with pots I had a hard time getting the temp up high enough to 'cook".  I had to start with hot water and go from there.  So mine may be cheddarlike as well, the kids made three cheeses that week and the only issue was temp.

OlJarhead

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:07:15 AM »
The temperature is so hard to regulate, i used a school hotplate that was supposed to get up to 300 degrees but using a double boiler system with pots I had a hard time getting the temp up high enough to 'cook".  I had to start with hot water and go from there.  So mine may be cheddarlike as well, the kids made three cheeses that week and the only issue was temp.

I used a Turkey Roaster and it did the trick!  I was able to maintain the temp of the milk perfectly.  The only time I wasn't real sure was when cooking the curds but I think with practice that will be easy peasy with this method.

MarineGrunt

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 02:32:05 AM »
I'm too new to cheese making to be able to help anyone out but had to say hello to a fellow Marine.

Semper Fi!

lwybrant

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 01:58:42 AM »
Hey some of us cheesemakers are retired army,lets not corner the military market marines.

susanky

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:11:03 AM »
Thank you ALL for your service!! :)
Susan

OlJarhead

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
Semper Fi Brothers!  And Army?  Hooah!

Shows how tough we Marines and Soldiers are!  We can defend our Nation AND make cheese ;)

MarineGrunt

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 03:05:01 AM »
I second that Hooah! My dad was in the Army and served from 65'-67' so I do have a place in my heart for you guys!

Thanks for the thanks Susan!

Sorry for getting your post off topic Jarhead. Now carry on, Marine!

lwybrant

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 10:46:11 PM »
I finally opened my chedder that i had trouble cooking.  The curds never really shrank much but the kids squeezed those curds almost dry before i pressed it.  The cheese has a very fine texture and mild taste and also shaves easily.  I think i will get the turkey roaster and try that in the future.  For now it is waxed again and aging in the fridge.

OlJarhead

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
I finally opened my chedder that i had trouble cooking.  The curds never really shrank much but the kids squeezed those curds almost dry before i pressed it.  The cheese has a very fine texture and mild taste and also shaves easily.  I think i will get the turkey roaster and try that in the future.  For now it is waxed again and aging in the fridge.

Sounds a bit like mine.  They work, taste ok (best flavor after the first 2-3 months and before 6 months since I was using veggie rennet I think) slice ok but all in all need more fat I think and a more stringent schedule.  I have a PH Meter now and hope that will help but my next cheese will be Mozzarella.