Author Topic: Surface Mold - Red & Orange Colour Discussion  (Read 12882 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Surface Mold - Red & Orange Colour Discussion
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 07:23:01 PM »
Quote from: iratherfly
Linens often show up as pinkish before turning orange, especially if Geo is present (a mix of the linens red/orange color with the creamy yellow geo). That's probably fine.  Just keep washing it.   Even if it is an undesirable mold the washing will grow the B.Linen and out-compete the bad mold so it will make the cheese better and safer.

It's also typical, expected and proper with Reblochons that the geo shows up first, then covered with B.Linens and disappears as B.Linen grows.  Then, after you stop the washing and let the cheese age, linen will show up as again, this time as a sporadic dusty white over the red.  Look up photos of Reblochons online and as you can see they are almost always dusty and white to some extent.

What I am meaning to say is that by visuals alone, my linens showed up extremely quickly, with no obvious geo present, at least not in any dramatic way.  (see, for reference).  Just an additional observation that based on:

Camembert is too acidic to produce B.Linen before it is covered with Geo and PC which de-acidify the surface. Red B.Linen takes lots of washing and some time to show up

I think, if my experience is any guide, that it might be possible to entirely miss the geo phase, prior to linens beginning its uniform pink-tangerine tinge?  It happened so quickly - my visuals cued me to clear linens development by day 3 of daily washing, something I would never have expected; though I acknowledge the geo may have been there, missed it overnight, and by the time linens showed up in any real way, it was blending with the receding geo, as you mention above. 

- Paul

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 02:51:08 AM »
Geo is usually the first thing to show but it's not visually very striking. It just makes your rind look a bit more cream and less white but it is soft and not dry.  The late stage geo (the one you get a few weeks later after all the rinds have been well established) looks like a dusty powdery sporadic dry white bloom.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 03:09:07 AM »
OK, thanks, makes perfect sense, now that I think on it.  As I recall, I'm pretty sure I simply confused it for a kind of brine remnant or something (from the dry-salting, and surface brine that resulted) as I do recall seeing this thinnish, more or less opaque coating, before the onset of the pink. 

My babies are in the regular refrigerator, now.  I think they'll be good eating cheeses, already really tasty, but lessons learned on drying off.  Man -

Préaffinage : Après sa fabrication, le Reblochon passe environ une semaine dans un séchoir...

Uh, yeah - guess "no time in the drying room" is just a bit shy of "around a week in the drying room."  :o
- Paul