Author Topic: Vat Depth  (Read 6059 times)

wharris

Re: Vat Depth
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
LOL That's awesome!

Reminds me of this pic I posted a while back.

terry@dairy fab

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 07:19:37 PM »
Wayne,

When drilling multiple holes, I have found that Windex brand window cleaner works well as a lubricant. Not sure why it works, but have used it several times and it seems to do the job. Plus its easier to clean up than cutting fluid. Good luck with the curd knives.

Terry

wharris

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
Getting Closer.

I have a process now. Built four of these now.  Still working on the handle and some final details. (Need to thread the stainless steel wire too..)

Made from all 316 stainless steel, and the handle from HDPE.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:56 PM »
Wayne - I made a horizontal cutter similar to yours last year and my inspector instantly rejected it. His argument was that the drilled holes and wire wraps are difficult to sanitize.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:24 AM »
An inspector notwithstanding,*  Wayne, I wanna say, beautiful work!

* I love the breed...I think it was especially when they wanted to require me to add a hot water sink for rinsing lettuces, because of an arcane and ancient statute on the books; the extra demand would have tipped my existing capacity, requiring me to add $10,000 in new heater equip.; that, or "cover every unused table, (in a white-linen French place), with plastic."  Yep, they always make sense, and conquer my heart.

PS:  BTW Wayne, that pic above (your daughter? - adorable) is priceless.  :)
- Paul

wharris

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 12:52:29 AM »
Wayne - I made a horizontal cutter similar to yours last year and my inspector instantly rejected it. His argument was that the drilled holes and wire wraps are difficult to sanitize.
I would agree with the wire wraps.  To that end I plan to not have any submerged wire wraps.

Not sure what to do or say about the holes.

smilingcalico

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »
You never know what an inspector will allow. We used a stainless steel frame then wrapped some high test fishing line around it.  No holes to worry about!  Just have to knot well on each side and keep it tight!  Seriously, it was like some funky string instrument, but it passed inspection.

coffee joe

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:01 AM »
Sailor, what was your solution?

I made a set similar to Wayne's, with SS wire, but to keep it tight, I was forced to wrap at each hole. I have more trouble with the horizontal cutter than the vertical.

steampwr8

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 02:51:13 PM »
I would like to be able to do 4 gal batches as well, but due to the narrowness of my kitchen sink I can only get my 12 quart stock pot into it and have room for a water bath.  When I do a 3 gal batch I am so near the top it is hard to stir even gently.  I am seriously considering buying on of those temp adjusting contraptions to plug my 22 quart Rival cooker into.  Around $160.00 shipped.  Yikes.  Dreaming of the future.

You can use your roaster as is, it just takes a good thermometer and a little more babysitting. Check out how I made my Stilton.

Wayne, I use it to a depth of 6 inches.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,5762.0.html