Author Topic: morfeo's Raclette Using Brevibacterium linens > Salinometer Discussion  (Read 19562 times)

morfeo

Hi-
On saturday I did a raclette, latter on sunday I spray it with some of the B linens bacteria that I activated the day before.
My question is if I can still use the same batch from Sunday or I have to do a new batch for Wednesday (I'm keeping the B linens on the fridge)?
And my other questions is, how many times do I have to spray the cheese during the aging process (on the recipe says that it should be spray the first and on the third day). Should I brine the cheese again during aging??

Thank you for your help.

dttorun

It should be brined after removing from mold. If you brine again after spraying b.linens, salt will kill the bacteria. Yes, you can use the same batch for 1-2 weeks but later the strength of bacteria diminishes, my observation. Also salt should be around 3-5% for b.linen spray solution. Spray every other day until you see color change on the rind, 3-5 spraying should be enough. Then keep the rind dryer before packaging/aging.
Tan

morfeo

If the rind is not showing any change in color after 8 days should I keep sparing the cheese with the bacteria or should I stop, and wait for the bacteria to start working???
My cave is about 49-52f and 90% RH. I'm also opening the top of the container for about 1 or 2 hours daily for the cheese to breathe, making sure that the humidity don't go down.

Any suggestion will be great

Helen

Morfeo,

My cheeses never show b.linens right away, it usually takes a couple of weeks... sometimes more.

I would wash every other day in your place.

- Helen

morfeo

After three weeks  the b.linens is starting to show, should I stop spraying the cheese with the bacteria or should I keep doing it and for how long??
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:29:28 AM by morfeo »

morfeo

This is an update of my raclette.
After a month my raclete is covered with the yellow bacteria.
I just have two questions:

1) Is the green mold on the picture normal??
2) Why is that when I open the cooler in where I keep the cheese, the cooler is smelling like gas or something dead, and when I smell the cheese it  doesn't smell like that. Is that smell bad??
My cooler temperature is 48f-52f and the humidity on the container is 90%.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:13:25 PM by morfeo »

Tomer1

Nice!
You dont want the green stuff,wipe it off.

morfeo

How should I wipe the green mold???

Brie

Salt water will be fine, with or without vinegar. Your cheese looks great! You don't need any more linens--but continue to let the cheese breathe outside of the cave at lest once per week.

morfeo

If I wipe it with salt water or vinegar, will the linens grow back on the white spots again???

morfeo

Hi everyone.
My raclette is 2 months already and on the recipe said that I can age it from 2 to 4 months, but the problem is that the bacteria is kind of wet just like on the picture above, and I know that the raclette has a nice dry orange rind but mine is far away from that.
My question is if I can eat it like that or should I start to reduce the humidity for the rind to dry a little.
or should I wait until the bacteria dies or dry by itself.

iratherfly

Just do a dry cycle before moving it to the fridge.  Keep it out of the ripening box in the cool dry part of the cave or even fridge. It will get dry in a day or two.  The same conditions you use to dry a bloomy cheese before putting in the cave will be perfect.

morfeo

Hi people this is a update on mi raclette.
After 2 1/2 months the cheese is looking pretty good and is smelling awesome, the bacteria is almost dry to touch  on the sides of the rind but on the top and on the bottom still a little moist and sticky, I think is because of the grid that I'm using under.
As you can see everything is perfect, but I just have a question.
Can I eat it like that or should I wait a little more until the rind is dryer??

smilingcalico

Wow, nice looking pumpkin! I mean cheese.  You could eat it now, but why not give it a shot getting a little dryer?  Use it as a learning experience to get the cheese right where you want it.  Can you post your recipe?

morfeo

Thank you for you help I think I'm going to replace the grid where the cheese is siting for something with bigger holes and wait two more weeks to let the top and the bottom dry a little more.
I used a combination of these two recipes, they have their differences but I think you can use them with no problem.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,995.msg26621.html#msg26621
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,997.0.html