Author Topic: morfeo's Raclette Using Brevibacterium linens > Salinometer Discussion  (Read 19621 times)

smilingcalico

Thanks, much appreciated, and a cheese to boot!

morfeo

Ok people this is my last update on the raclette.

I cut it last week and it was a little salty but that wasn't the problem.
It taste pretty bad I'm just guessing that is because it was on a  closed cooler most of the day, so every time I opened it had a very strong odor something like methane gas (I think that was the bacteria's bio product) so the cheese end up tasting like that.
The other reason for it's odd flavor I think is because the bacteria never dried completely and was too thick  that it ens up overpowering the flavor of the cheese.

I would like to know what did I do wrong, and how can I fix it for the next batch??

Here are some pictures for you to see the thickness of the bacteria, and how the cheese looks like.
By the way the cheese end's up on the trash can it was completely uneatable. :'(

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Too bad, it looks great.  :(

Seems quite a change from June 21st when you reported it was smelling awesome.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

morfeo

Boofer is weird but the cheese didn't smells bad, it just smells like cheese....
Is just that the cheese taste like the gas smell that was in the box.

Since you where the only one to comment yesterday can you tell me if is possible that the gas smell was able to affect the taste of the cheese and if is that the problem how can I fixed that.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
I'm not sure what you are really smelling. If you say methane, it makes me think that the cows were eating gas producing green matter that became part of the milk. If it were me, I think I'd divide the cheese two or three ways and vacuum-seal them. Then put them away in your fridge or cave for a while. Then later, pull one out and sample it. You might be surprised.

If someone with more farm experience could offer a more informed opinion, that would be welcomed.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

I would just seek a different recipe to try.  Also two comments:

1). Your rind is REALLY red which means you may not be using the right B.Linen and/or Yeasts for this cheese and that you are washing too much.  After it reaches a certain shade you need to stop washing and let it do its thing.  Such shade is actually lighter than your desired shade because initially it will continue becoming stronger. Then some wild geo will start taking hold in a form of random white powdery covering. This is important because that geo contributes to the breakdown of proteins in your cheese which gives it some of its texture. It also tapers off some of the stinkiness of the cheese. That doesn't mean that the cheese will stop being stinky, it's more like throwing a pinch of salt in a very sweet cake batter when you are baking, just to balance off the sweetness, know what I mean?
2). Form factor. The shape and proportion of the cheese need to be like an original Raclette. Even if your wheel is smaller you should keep the same shape/proportions. This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT with surface ripened cheeses because the rind treatment is what ages this cheese and it needs to be flat enough to allow the rind of each side to work its magic through on the cheese all the way to the center.  I can't tell you how many failed reblochons, St. Nectaire, Morbiers, Tallegio and other such cheeses I've seen here where the recipe, make and affinage had all the good reasons to work but the wrong shape just killed the cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
2). Form factor. The shape and proportion of the cheese need to be like an original Raclette. Even if your wheel is smaller you should keep the same shape/proportions. This is ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT with surface ripened cheeses because the rind treatment is what ages this cheese and it needs to be flat enough to allow the rind of each side to work its magic through on the cheese all the way to the center.  I can't tell you how many failed reblochons, St. Nectaire, Morbiers, Tallegio and other such cheeses I've seen here where the recipe, make and affinage had all the good reasons to work but the wrong shape just killed the cheese.
This is a good point and not one, I think, that is mentioned stressed enough in cheesemaking books or on this forum. Perhaps we need a little more information with reference to cheese styles and appropriate form factors for home cheese makers so that we can be more successful.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

morfeo

Re: morfeo's Raclette Using Brevibacterium linens > Salinometer Discussion
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »
Hi-
This is the bacteria that I'm using (SR3) Brevibacterium linens (orange color) , I think my real problem is that I washed the rind to much and it over populate the rind of the cheese. I did the wash for about two or three weeks every other day.
And I think my second problem was the cooler, I think it was to small and the gas wasn't able to scape and because of that it changed the flavor of the cheese.
In the other had the cheese wasn't to big it was just 4" diameter by 3" tall.

I'm planning to make this cheese again next week do you have any suggestions on how should I do the wash??

Thank you.

iratherfly

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »
It's not the size that  matters, it's the proportion.  Raclette is disc-shaped for a good reason. so 4"x2" would have been much better, though I would maybe try and find a mold to do it about 7"x3".

As for the rind - have you used any yeasts like R2R? It looks like that crazy color. Definitely is too much washing. Start washing around day 4 to 7. First week wash every other day. Second and third week wash twice a week only, then stop. It will continue to get stronger color after you are done washing though it may get covered with white Geo spotting that would make it more difficult to notice

morfeo

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:10 PM »
I didn't use any yeast, and yes it had a crazy color just like a pumpkin.

Thank you for your advice I'll fallow your instructions on the next batch.

Question:

Can you add the bacteria directly to the curds before pressing instead of spraying the cheese with it?
How the cheese will taste??

iratherfly

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
Absolutely yes, you can. The cheese will taste the same. It may take a bit longer for the B.Linen to take a hold this way (if you are not including them in your brine).  Use 1/8 teaspoon for each 1 gallon milk. Add it together with the ripening bacteria.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 05:12:07 AM »
Use 1/8 teaspoon for each 1 gallon milk.
Really? For my makes that would mean 1/2 tsp for 4 gallons milk. Seems a little high.  :o

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

iratherfly

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 06:50:55 AM »
Actually you are right, I didn't really elaborate. It goes in stages. 1/8 tsp for 1-3 gal, 1/4 tsp for 4-6 range and 1/2 tsp for 6-8 gal. Beyond that I just measure in doses according to the instruction for production size batch. Doesn't make a huge difference; what's more important is that there will be balance and equality between the different cultures so that you don't put 1/16th tsp PC (which should be enough for 1 gallon) with 1/8 geo (which is recommended for 1 gallon but more than enough) because you will have a geo takeover in that 1 gallon cheese, so just make sure they are in proportion to each other and over the minimum requirement -based on your recipe and familiarity with the aggressiveness of your particular culture.

morfeo

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »
will the bacteria survive in a 100% salt brine or needs to be a different percentage?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 02:10:20 PM »
will the bacteria survive in a 100% salt brine or needs to be a different percentage?
Wouldn't 100% salt brine just be dry salt...with no water? What do you really mean?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!