Author Topic: morfeo's Raclette Using Brevibacterium linens > Salinometer Discussion  (Read 19616 times)

morfeo

Re: morfeo's Raclette Using Brevibacterium linens > Salinometer Discussion
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
In less words a salometer is the same as the hydrometer both are made to measure the specific gravity of a liquid the only thing that changes is the little piece of paper in the center. ;)

linuxboy

« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 07:13:55 PM »
lol, oh the joys of tech. Do you have a good system for the conversion? I created a decent best-fit formula based on a statistical analysis of common curves so I can use all the French recipes I have from the obscure old school books. Gives me a good idea of what's happening in the background, just plug it in an Excel spreadsheet and go.

Have you tried using the classic whey titration approach? You might like that better than a meter... no calibration.

morfeo

« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »
 :o sorry linuxboy I got lost you sound exactly like my brother that is a linux lover too, I think is something with linux  :D

linuxboy

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
Hide your children! Lock up the wimmin! It warps the mind I tells ya! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've been using it since the early days of the pre 1.0 kernel. This was back when dirt was new, and the dead sea wasn't even sick yet.

iratherfly

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
You kill me Pav. 1.0 kernel? Reminds me of this moment from Being John Malkovich - one of my favorite movies:
Dr. Lester: Don't toy with Floris, Schwartz.
Craig Schwartz: Oh, no.
Dr. Lester: If I was 80 years younger, I'd box your ears.
Craig Schwartz: I wasn't toying with her sir, I wouldn't..  pardon me, just how old are you, sir?
Dr. Lester: 105. Carrot juice, lots of it. I swear, sometimes it's not worth it. I XXXX orange. I have to XXXX sitting down like a goddamn girlie-girl every fifteen minutes.

I don't have a decent conversion chart yet. The two measurements don't seem to go in a steady curve, but if you have such excel, you are my hero.
Have you tried using the classic whey titration approach? You might like that better than a meter... no calibration.
Is that where you put a sample together with two chemicals and it changes color and then you compare the color to a chart and it points out to a number? Something like that? Is that how it works?

morfeo

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:42 PM »
My brother started using REDHAT and he used to spend the hole day compiling the kernel to make linux works how he wants it. Now we are using UBUNTU for our servers and I love it I'm not as good as my brother but I can move around.

iratherfly

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
I love Ubantu. We used it in a previous startup I was involved in

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 10:46:29 PM »
Sorry to interrupt the alternative OS dialogue....

By the bye, I also enjoyed Ubuntu in a previous situation. Excellent deployment.

Hey, the times I need to check salinity level does not warrant the purchase of a special dipstick if I already have a suitable workaround. Back when I was brewing I acquired an SG hydrometer. With linuxboy's spreadsheet, I'm in! Thanks for that, linuxboy.

KISS.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

morfeo

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 12:53:09 AM »
did linuxboy give you the spreadsheet, how can I get it???? ;)
Please linuxboy!!!!

Cheese Head

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
Wow this thread is way off topic, pictures of my USD14 salometer here, if anyone wants they can use the color bands on pictures #3 & 4 to work out the cross conversion scale for a standard hygrometer.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:31 AM »
did linuxboy give you the spreadsheet, how can I get it???? ;)
Please linuxboy!!!!
It was on the previous page of this thread.  Brine spreadsheet.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.