Author Topic: Hello from Central Georgia (USA)  (Read 1485 times)

saanengirl

Hello from Central Georgia (USA)
« on: April 04, 2011, 05:59:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

I ran across this forum while searching for sources of yoghurt cultures...

My name is Sara, and I live about 30 miles southwest of Macon, GA. I have been raising goats and making goat milk cheese for more than a decade. My favorite cheese to make is chevre, but I have made and experimented with several other varieties including Queso Blanco, Ricotta, Neufchatel, Feta, and cheddar-type cheeses. I plan to build a small scale commercial goat dairy in a few years, so as I get closer to undertaking that project, this board will become more and more important to me. For the time being, this board will help me get ideas, and maybe I can be of help to others as well, particularly those undertaking the challenge of raising dairy goats.  I raise Saanen and Guernsey dairy goats, and have a M.S. in Animal Science after doing goat-related research. My educational focus was ruminant nutrition, but since my research was dairy-related, I took a class on dairy product manufacture. I enjoy working with goats and making cheese, so this seems like a board where I will fit well.

kookookachoo

Re: Hello from Central Georgia (USA)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 07:02:22 PM »
Hello, Sara!  And welcome to the board.  I'm pretty new to all of this, as well.  I've been making the softer cheeses for a while now, but recently just jumped at the opportunity to broaden my cheesemaking horizons.   ;D  The forum is full of really knowledgeable people who are willing to help, listen to & commiserate with you! 

Hope you have a good day!

Steff

PS. I posted on my FB page this morning how I wanted to have a goat or two...we had them when I was little & I miss them.  I tell people they are really affection & have all sorts of different personalities & they just laugh at me.   :P

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:31:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sara- I bet that you will have a lot of helpful information to contribute here.

darius

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:55:15 PM »
A big Welcome from SW VA, Sara! You'll fit right in...  :)

I'd love to have a couple of dairy goats later on. I've looked at Dwarf Nigerians, but that's all.

~d

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
Welcome Sara, looking forward to your input, have fun here!