Author Topic: Straight Jersey Milk - experiences?  (Read 9149 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Straight Jersey Milk - experiences?
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:51:52 AM »
I have found a source for Jersey milk (I can obtain straight Jersey milk, or a holstein/jersey blend).  I only know of Jersey from what I've read, and anecdotal experiences from makers who use it (one, who loves it, but finds he has to "cut" it with other breeds, as it's too rich).  I will be concentrating on alpine styles for a long time to come, with the occasional reblochon and vacherin (mont d'or style) tossed in. 

Can folks with experience with this milk, please opine?
- Paul

Oude Kaas

Re: Straight Jersey Milk - experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:04:20 AM »
Go for it, its fantastic!!!!!!

Erkki Juusto

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:14 AM »
We have 3/4 jersey cross and brown Swiss x Holstein. You have take some cream off for Emmenthal and Gruyere. Excellent butter and ice cream

steampwr8

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:28 AM »
Jersey milk is 40% cream plus. Delicious warm out of the cow and ICE cold in the glass..nothing better.

I made a Lancashire with registered Jersey milk this weekend. EVERYTHING is covered in butterfat.

One really needs a cream separator to process it properly.

susanky

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
Last summer I used raw Jersey milk.  I am new to cheesemaking.  My hard cheeses (cheddar, parmesan, gouda) are still aging.  Soft cheese were FANTASTIC.  Skimming it (for parmesan) was a job!  But then I had cream for cream cheese etc.  Used it whole for the other cheeses.

Now my jersey cows are not milking and not due until June.  This weekend another friend started giving me milk from his Brown Swiss cows.  I was excited to read that Brown Swiss have an ideal PF ration for cheesemaking!  But I have to say, drinking it, it doesn't compare to the Jersey milk which was far sweeter/richer.  This (also raw milk) tastes alot like store bought milk.  Hoping to make first batch of cheese with it soon.
Susan

darius

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:42:54 PM »
I use Jersey milk, but it's pasteurized and homogenized. I suspect they also skim some of the cream before pasteurizing. It's a new, small local dairy and they don't post the P/F ratio. It's certainly fresher than regular grocery store milk.

I'm making Lancashire and Caerphilly from it, but I'm such a beginner that I have no way to judge the milk or the cheese yet.

zenith1

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
go for it-Jersey and Guernsey are really good for cheese and ice cream

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 02:28:07 PM »
Thank you all, for the replies so far.  I'm very keyed to try this out; the only issue is that the straight Jersey is extremely expensive (twice the cost of the holstein/jersey blend), but after hearing so much on this breed, at least one of my makes, I'd really like to try it out. 
- Paul

darius

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »
I pay $3.75 a gallon for it here. Sure wish I could buy it raw!

lwybrant

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:36:23 PM »
I just tried to make cheese for the first time and used straight from the cow jersey milk.  I have been told that it may not form properly due to the amount of fat?  So far the loaf is firm and had formed a rind, i waxed it when it was cool and had it at room temp a few days, i had a few droplets form through the wax so i removed the wax and put it into the frig it is now dry again. Should i wax it again and get it back into the fridge?

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 04:47:29 PM »
At home and on a small scale, cheeses tend to weep whey for maybe 5-15 days after the make. Usually, this is due to curd variation, press schedule, smaller curd mass, etc. I would wait for 1-2 weeks before waxing to give the cheese a chance to dry out and firm up.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »
Say what you will about the Jersey, y'all.  I'm not impressed.

Now I'm impressed.

- Paul

susanky

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:56 PM »
I pay $3.75 a gallon for it here. Sure wish I could buy it raw!

My Jersey farmer guy gives it to me raw.  In fact, if I don't go get it, he throws it out or saves it for pigs.  I'm quite sure he has never pasturized himself.  But his cows aren't milking yet.

My Brown Swiss farmer guy/friend is very opposed to raw milk.  He pasturizes EVERYTHING.  In fact, he was sure I was going to die last year drinking raw milk from the other guy.  But I've been working on him for a year.  He finally got tired of me begging so we came to a compromise.  He told me if I milk the cow, I can do with it as I please.  DEAL!  He has an extra milker so that is mine.  I bring it home, clean it etc.  We are all happy!
Susan

darius

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 11:27:58 PM »
What a DEAL, Susan! Good for you. :)

coffee joe

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 01:50:08 PM »
Here is my son training a 2 year old Normande bull. Not sure who is more afraid at this game, but seems fun by all! This breed has some of the highest fat content and Kappa Casein genes. These guys get huge at over 2200 lb but otherwise are very similar to Jersey. Common lineage way back.