Author Topic: Cheddar - Milkfat Amount  (Read 870 times)

lwybrant

Cheddar - Milkfat Amount
« on: April 05, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
I used unpasteurized milk straight from the cow to make two batches of chedder cheese.  It felt greasy when i finished it but it is dry to the touch right now and aging in the frig, i still have to rewax it because it formed a few drops, comming out of a pinhole in the wax.

linuxboy

Re: Cheddar - Milkfat Amount
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:07:52 PM »
What breed? You need the right PF ratio for cheddar (.75-.95 in most cases). Some cows are naturally better suited to some cheese types/technologies.

lwybrant

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Dairy cows, Jersey i am told is the cow that is used.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:07:46 PM »
IMHO, Jersey has too much fat for hard cheeses. You can get away with it if you eat the cheeses when they're young and creamy, like for butterkase. Otherwise, you tend to get somewhat odd flavor development, and the curds behave oddly (retain water, are too soft, etc. I would skim and use the fat in bloomy rind cheeses like triple cremes, or for butter/cream cheese/mascarpone.

You can get away with straight Jersey milk for cheddar during mid lactation, if the cows are on pasture only. That tends to be a better PF.

lwybrant

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:28:16 PM »
I guess i will wax it and see what happens, it is a really firm loaf and did form a couple droplets at a pinhole at room temp a few days before i got it into the fridge.  I thought it was condensation because the cheese was cold when I waxed it.  It is dry now and in the fridge i had removed the wax. ??