Author Topic: Starter Cultures - Differences Between Mesophilic & Thermophilic  (Read 5798 times)

Corina

I have a question that I have not been able to solve by reading.
Except for the differnce in temperatures needed for one or another starter, what is the difference between meso and termo?
Are both equivalent, at the adequate temperature?
Can I use either or are they each specific to some cheese types?
I see that a lot of the recipes need meso starter, why? Is there a classification?

Sorry if the questin is silly but for a beginner is somewhat difficult at first to put everyting in order.

linuxboy

Re: Starter Cultures - Differences Between Mesophilic & Thermophilic
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:11 PM »
what is the difference between meso and termo?
Not sure how to answer you. They're different types of bacteria that look differently, produce different (or same) types of lactic acid at different (or same) rates. During aging, they also impart different flavor to the cheese.

What do you mean by equivalent? In what way? In acid production rate?

Can I use either or are they each specific to some cheese types?
Bacteria are very specific. Cheese recipes combine culture type, temperature, and process to create a specific type.

I see that a lot of the recipes need meso starter, why? Is there a classification?
Because meso is used for those cheeses. There are many types of classifications for bacteria and for cheese, yes.

Are you really trying to ask why use one bacteria and not another? Because someone made a cheese with a specific bacteria type and then wrote the recipe down. You can make it however you want and deviate from the recipe, but the cheese will be different.

Corina

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
I wanted to ask if meso and termo can be swiched with same results, but you already answered that.Thank you.
For the moment, I will stick to the tested recipes, as you are experienced and very well informed here.
Yes, I meant in acidity and flavour these give to the cheese.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:08 PM »
Oh, right, meso and thermo are not interchangeable. Often, you can change the strains of various types of bacteria with similar results. For example, two strains of Lactococcus lactis may be functionality similar, and can be used in rotation to produce the same cheese.