Author Topic: "Bavarian Munster" from Kaeskuche, Germany?  (Read 3355 times)

tananaBrian

"Bavarian Munster" from Kaeskuche, Germany?
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:16 AM »
Lover of stinky cheeses that I am, I've never tried a Munster before.  I picked up some "Bavarian Munster" from Kaeskuche, Germany today and ...oh my!  First hint on the way home was my daughter saying "The back seat stinks!".  I thought "Ah ...she's just sensitive.  Stinky cheeses are good!"  And then tonight, we opened it up ...oooh my!!  This one surpasses my limit I think ...hmmmm.  Not sure how this stuff is made, but it's the first cheese that I've tried that I really didn't care for.  Well, I haven't tried any munster  before, so for all I know, this is normal?  Anyone else try this stuff?  I think I'll go back to my Taleggio and Stilton...

Brian

george

Re: "Bavarian Munster" from Kaeskuche, Germany?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
Maybe it was a little extra-special ripe? 

Muenster I've had hasn't been so nasty - especially if you normally like stanky cheeses.  Of course I haven't had any "real" muenster in years - been looking for some but haven't found it yet (hey, I was happy to get the Raclette last week!).  I want something to compare to when I get the courage to try making it again - my first attempts went south fairly quickly, but at least I got some great cheese to melt over taters out of it!

Sorry I can't help more than that - I'm no good describing flavors either - except to say "it tastes like [something completely different]".  Now, if you get a cheese that tastes like chicken, there might be cause for concern.

tananaBrian

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

Well ...I went into the local shop that is known for it's selection of artisan cheeses, and noted to the kind lady behind the counter that I couldn't find the Taleggio.  She said they hadn't had it for awhile, that the stinky cheese crowd seems to have dwindled for some reason.  She then suggested a couple of cheeses "for the adventurous" and the munster was one of them ...and turned out to be the first cheese that slightly crosses the line for me.   ;D.  Something about how it smells and tastes just didn't quite suit my fancy... but no biggy.  I knew I was buying an "adventurous" cheese  ;)

...Never tried Limburger yet.  Hmmm....

Brian

george

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:34:13 PM »
True.  On the other hand, I've had some Taleggio that was too ripe for my tastes, too, so perhaps we just switched roles temporarily on those two.  (huh?  what?)

OudeKaas

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:28:09 AM »
"A man has got to know his limitations." -  Harry Callahan

FRANCOIS

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
Proper Muenster smells like old indian food strained through a dirty diaper.  If you can get over the smell, the flavour and texture are incredibly.  My flat mates used to buy the stinkiest piece at the market and bring it home to ferment some more on the kitchen counter for a few days.  Only when it got o the point that your eyes burned when you opened the front door was it "good enough to eat".

george

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 09:57:30 AM »
"It's not the smell, it's the burning of my eyes."  ~ George Carlin

Thanks, Francois, for my first belly laugh of the day (no pun intended).  "Old indian food strained through a dirty diaper"!!