Author Topic: Yogurt in larger vat question  (Read 2322 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Yogurt in larger vat question
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
I have been making goat milk yogurt for years and love it. always thick. I now have a cheese vat and if I want to sell it I need to make it in there. So If yogurt does not like to be jostled during the process how does one go from say 3 gallons of milk in a vat to quart containers in the fridge for overnight without jostling it?
I made just that yesterday and last night before bed I scooped out the yogurt into quart containers and put in fridge. Still do not know if it turned out yet, have not gone out yet.  but the process seems difficult.
Any thoughts?

linuxboy

Re: Yogurt in larger vat question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »
Yogurt is made in two common ways. One, stirred, where you can pipe it into containers and its stable. Or two, set in container, where cultured milk is poured in hermetically and put into a warm incubator to set.

So you either agitate and mix during coagulation or let it set in individual containers ready for market.

glasman

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
i wanted to sell yogurt here in NC but found out it's a grade A product and falls outside of cheeses making licencing. grade A is a whole other ballgame. i drained mine and made a greek style that everyone loved. thick and handeled well. vic

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:17:17 AM »
I normally make it in a two gallon batch on the stove. After I inoculate I transfer to individual containers and maintain temp for 6-8 hrs the refrigerate till morning.
Would it work the same way in my vat if after I inoculate and transfer to add hor water to the vat to surround the containers to keep warm? I do not have a cooling feature on my vat so it has to go in the fridge in order to set.