Author Topic: Hello from Iowa  (Read 2936 times)

Beefcake

Hello from Iowa
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:42:06 AM »
Hello, I am new to cheese making. I actually I have not made any yet. I am in the process of researching it. Lots of hours spent. I think I am ready. I ordered everything I think I will need. This website has been very usefull. I in joy all the Ideas and conversations in the forum. I probably will not be of much use early on, but plan on helping newbies when I get some experience.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Hello from Iowa
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 08:13:09 AM »
Welcome. What cheese are you going to start with?

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
Hello Beefcake in Iowa, we all started somewhere and are all learning, welcome to the forum!

FYI, I moved the Cheese Making for Newbies Sticky that several of us contributed to from the bottom discussion board to the top Board. While you are waiting for your order you can start with something as simple as Lemon Cheese.

Have fun and post your results, way more fun with other Cheese Heads!

Tea

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »
Good morning Beefcake, and welcome to the forum. What made you decide to start making you own cheese?
Hope you enjoy your journey in the world of cheese making.

Beefcake

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 08:51:13 PM »
I think I am going to start with Mozzarella, It seams to be a good place to start, and instant gratification. to know if this is a good idea.

Beefcake

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:04:49 PM »
Tea, well I love everything about food, especially in the artisan form. I was a chef at a local restaurant for eight years. we also did a lot of catering. I needed something new and less grueling, now I own a bakery. I don't know why I want to make cheese, it popped into my head one day and now it wont leave. I am obsessed with bread and now cheese, even though I have not made any yet.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 09:23:23 PM »
Just be careful of cross contaimination. Yeasts from the bread and mold and bacteria from the cheese. Where is your bakery?

Tea

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »
Well with all that experience behind you, I'm sure you won't find cheese difficult to make. 

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »
Beefcake are you a Southpark fan? What kind of breads do you specialize in, if you do breads at all? I have some questions for you. Since you're new I'll tell you I'm a builder I can make anything and one thing I want to do is make a steamer for my oven so I can professional looking crusts, but know nothing about it. My goal is to be able to make a Boudin style sourdough with that dark blistery crust.

Beefcake

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 04:49:18 AM »
Cartierusm, I do enjoy a good southpark now and then, why? Yes, I only do breads currently, I would like to expand into more specialty products. As far as a nice crust on your rustics, at home I use the old standby, cast Iron in the bottom of the oven, preheat with the oven as hot as it will go. Put in the loaf and dump in about a cup of hot water into the pan and shut the door. bake as normal. I once read somewhere about a guy that put a copper tube through the oven vent down into his oven chamber. then hooked one of them steamers that you can get for when you are sick to the other end. fired up the oven and the steamer, and had himself a steam injected oven. hope this is usefull

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:41:50 AM »
For a sourdough how often do you need steam, is it a constant thing?

Beefcake

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »
Cartierusm, you only need to steam for the first ten minutes. The steam helps to keep the crust from drying out too fast so you can get a nice oven spring. To get a blistery crust, you might want to try retarding the loaf in the fridge overnight. in the morning pull it out and give it the final proof. if it still isn't the dark mahogany color you want, try some diastic malt powder or syrup in the dough. If you need a reference try the book the bread bakers apprentice by peter reinhart, great book. after reading that you will be making professional bread at home.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »
Thanks I'll try that.