Author Topic: Mozzarella Goes To Grainy Mush - Reasons?  (Read 3530 times)

HarryB

Mozzarella Goes To Grainy Mush - Reasons?
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:00:32 PM »
I have just made a batch of Mozzarella in two parts. The first was perfect from the stretching viewpoint. Lovely shiny ball which stretched well etc. When I was working the second batch ( a few minutes later) it fell into a grainy mush after I added more hot water. Is there a maximum temperature for the water to be at?
I have seen recommendations for using water at 180°F. Also, videos show Italian artisans pouring into the curd mass what appears to be water that is just off the boil. Is this cooled by the container and the curd mass to a temperature that the cheese can actually withstand? If so, what is that maximum temperature? Please.

Henry

mtncheesemaker

Re: Mozzarella Goes To Grainy Mush - Reasons?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
I usually bring a pot almost to a boil, then pour it into a bowl with the curds in it (on the side, not directly onto the curds). I keep another pot of water going, so when the first batch cools off, I can pour it out and add more hot water. I don't really measure the temp of the water anymore, but haven't had a problem with the water being too hot.
Was your batch that fell apart from the same make of cheese?

mhill

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:09:57 AM »
It doesn't sound like temperature is the problem--more like over acidification. Did you use culture or citric acid method?

HarryB

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 09:34:45 AM »
Thank you both for your replies.
Yes it was a single batch which I stretched in two parts. Also, I had a small amount left and stretched it one hour later and it stretched beautifully so the problem is most likely not over acidification. Also, I am using a culture based which is the buttermilk from my butter. The butter was cultured using mother culture so my cheese culture is first child; if that makes sense.

Henry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:45:52 AM by HarryB »

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:02:01 PM »
If the liquid used to stretch the mozz is too hot, it will tend to just melt away.  As the later bit that you did stretched just fine, it wasn't over-acidified.  It's odd though, that the "middle" part of the batch is the one you had trouble with.  One of those for the "hhmmm" files.

HarryB

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »
Thanks MrsKK, I don't think I can remember having my curds melt away since starting to use the culture method. My original attempts were with citric acid and there was never a problem, apart from the tough texture and lack of flavour. Like you said; one for the hhmmm! file.
Also, thanks for the welcome message.