Author Topic: Stilton, REALY overheated during ripening  (Read 1715 times)

Tomer1

Stilton, REALY overheated during ripening
« on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:44 PM »
Another clasic case of leaving the cheese vat unattended.

The pot is big so I locate the flow control knobs by feel and I could swear I turned it off but I didnt,I set it to high (It was the smallest burner).
Came back after the 30min buzzer went off and SH$$ , the temp was in the upper 40s.
I figure the messo and PR must be dead.

Not feeling like doing a 3 gallon batch of riccota,
I chilled the pot back to 30c with frozen whey bottles (I use for bread baking) and added more messo and PR.
Gave it 10 minutes and renneted , decided not to go by flac but by recipe and do 90min before draining instead of 60min hoping it should ripen during that time.
I figure its gone take more time for acidity to build during the post draining "curds stipping in whey" stage.

I'l report back to tell you if this "save" protocol was succesful.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:37:25 PM by Tomer1 »

9mmruger

Re: Stilton, REALY overheated during ripening
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
I would think that this should still be okay.  Reintroduction of fresh meso should eliminate any problem.  Good luck.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
The culture picked up nicely and i'm back on track regarding acidity development.
Working with uncut curd is not fun, I reckon the extra time (after rennet) before draining emphasizes this making for weaker curds which holds more moisture
And I wasnt prepered with a HUGE collander for this volume of saturated curds,
By the time I finished ladeling curds from the pot it had no whey in it ;D

I hate being unprepered and having to find myself rushing to sanitize more stuff,
Used up everything resembles a collander in my kitchen and almost all of my disposable cheese cloth.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:01:51 PM by Tomer1 »

9mmruger

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
The culture picked up nicely and i'm back on track regarding acidity development.
Working with uncut curd is not fun, I reckon the extra time (after rennet) before draining emphasizes this making for weaker curds which holds more moisture
And I wasnt prepered with a HUGE collander for this volume of saturated curds,
By the time I finished ladeling curds from the pot it had no whey in it ;D

I hate being unprepered and having to find myself rushing to sanitize more stuff,
Used up everything resembles a collander in my kitchen and almost all of my disposable cheese cloth.

PIA to be sure, but when you finally get to cut into that bad boy and eat it, all the pain will be gone and the pleasure will begin.   ;D

Brie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 01:45:34 AM »
Welcome to the world of cheese-making Tomer! Science meets the palate. Great friends here to guide you along.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
Yep, well you learn from mistakes.
Well it took forever untill it was ready to be salted ,much more so then the "traidional" overnight acidification.
Right now I just hope it will mat properly.