Author Topic: Pressing - To Recipe's pH Or after Pressing?  (Read 1524 times)

smilingcalico

Pressing - To Recipe's pH Or after Pressing?
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:24 AM »
I've read in certain recipes to press until a certain pH, is this necessary?  What I've been doing, and works for me, is to press until I'm satisfied with the whey drainage and the smooth exterior, then take off the press and allow the acidity to develop before brineing.  I don't feel that this affects the cheese quality negatively.  Are there nuances I'm missing by not pressing to the intended pH?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:04:01 AM by smilingcalico »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Pressing - To Recipe's pH Or after Pressing?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:06:05 AM »
We all have different techniques that work for us and we stick with them. Some of us use instinct and other use tecnology. If it works for you that is a good thing.

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:23:40 AM »
This is exacly how they would do it in the old days,going by feel and by the time It usually took when the cheese came out ok during other makes in these variable conditions (pressing wight,season,room temp).

With the introduction of industrial practices and the requirment for consistancy the final PH correlates to when brining\dry salting should begin and fermentation slowed down meaning you will have the same acidity profile every single make.

If this doesnt concern you you can keep doing what you do successfully :)

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 02:29:48 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Deb.

Tomer, I see what you're saying about the acidity.  I think I get close each time, besides, it's Artisan.  Actually, I've been wanting to get a pH meter, but have been hesitant to choose one, though I will probably go with the Extech.