Author Topic: Salt - Substitute, Potassium Chloride?  (Read 4213 times)

susanky

Salt - Substitute, Potassium Chloride?
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
Tonight I have a batch of Neufachel sitting overnight.  It is my first cheese in many months as my supply of milk had dried up for awhile.  But I'm excited to get back to it!  Gouda tomorrow.  But here is the issue.  The woman who gives me the milk avoids salt in her diet.  I'd like to make cheese for her.  Can I use 'salt substitute' or potassium chloride in place of salt.  I'm guessing it will be fine for this soft cheese, but what about pressed cheeses?  I saw a discussion regarding using it to get different flavors in the cheese, but couldn't find any info directly substituting. 
Susan

linuxboy

Re: Salt - Substitute, Potassium Chloride?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
Yes, you can. Typically don't need as much potassium chloride as sodium chloride to achieve the same flavor effects. But the differences are minor IMHO. There was not much mention because it's a simple substitution.

susanky

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
Thanks Linuxboy!  She'll be thrilled.  She loves cheese but mostly stick to Swiss (commercially purchased, actually from the Amish) as she was told it has the least amount of salt.  Now we can make whatever we like and just substitute.  Although I bet it will be a bit pricey to make a KCl brine.  Sounds like it's time for a trip to Sams.
Susan

coffee joe

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:56:02 PM »
KCl is a salt as well as NaCl is a salt. Swapping Potassium for the Sodium is all that is happening.
If there is some sort of specific Sodium restriction is a diet this works fine. As with Sodium, Potassium is a critical metal in our diets, some is required but too much can be toxic. Potassium/Calcium imbalance can cause health problems.
KCl does taste "Saltier"

susanky

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:14:05 AM »
I didn't like it.  I thought it had a bitter taste.  So I abandoned the idea and went back to regular salt.
Susan