Author Topic: Stilton #2  (Read 12623 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Stilton #2
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 06:30:17 PM »
You can wet the needle piece until it gives resistence take it out, rewet it and go again.

Cheese Head

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
Good tips and ideas. On mine I just pushed the screwdriver in several times from top and then bottom and each time I had to hold my fingers around it otherwise it pulled out lots of material with it. My pressed blue was too moist thus stickier plus thicker screwdriver, no wonder I cracked :o my first blue cheese wheel when doing so :'(.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Here are 2 High Quality Close Up pics on my new smoothed stilton.

http://www.smokeproductions.com/Stilton2.jpg
http://www.smokeproductions.com/Stilton3.jpg

Likesspace

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 01:47:12 AM »
You know John, I think one of my biggest problems is the size of wheel I'm making. These things are only 4" diameter but are right at 8" tall. It doesn't give a lot of room for error when doing the piercing and since I've now cracked two out of two I think I'm missing that window. :-)
I've decided that my next Stilton will be done in a 6" diameter wheel while trying to keep the same 8" height. I think this will make a much more sturdy wheel that should resist cracking. Especially if I remember to follow all of the suggestions from this board.

Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 03:46:41 AM »
Likesspace - Dave

I just had a very nice dinner and cheese tasting with neighbors, will post in different board. Anyway we tried a store bought Danish Castello Brand Blue that was very, almost melt in mouth soft, and it was only about 4" diameter and had very thin pin holes around the circumference of varying depth for bluing the interior. Maybe the trick is tiny holes that don't displace much volume (like a deep penetrating perf charge does, sorry for oilpatch talk) and thus causes minimal stress on the very weak tensile strength cheese?

Note, cheese colours were not as pronounced as in photo.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 05:48:23 AM »
John, I'm disgusted...you served your neighbors STORE BOUGHT cheese?? LOL. :D

Tea

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »
Carter I think you asked in one of your posts about teflon knitting needles.  You can purchase them from any ladies hardware store, like Joanne's etc.  Not sure what stores are available to you over there.  They come in different sizes and lengths, so you should be able to find something that suited.  Was also thinking that you could use SS meat skewers.  They also come in different lengths and thicknesses.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
Thanks I have a long SS thermometer, I'll just use that.

Likesspace

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2009, 12:02:15 AM »
Carter....I tried to figure out how to post this pic in a private message but didn't see a place to do so.
Here is the pic of the air tank, with regulator that I bought today.
I was going to use my shop tank but I didn't think my wife would be too pleased having that old thing in her kitchen. Besides, this new tank was pretty inexpensive and it's a nice cheese color. :-)
It's a five gallon tank with 1/4" NPT threads. From what you told me last night, I can simply unscrew the supplied air hose and screw your hose into it. I should then be set to go.
So, as promised, here it is:

Likesspace

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2009, 12:06:43 AM »
John,
First of all, that is a very nice looking blue cheese. I don't care if it is store bought, it looks delicious.
As for piercing, I think that if I continue to use a 4" wheel I'll have to find something that makes smaller holes.
If I do in fact move up to a 6" wheel as planned then I think my thermometer probe will work just fine.
Every once in awhile my wife will bring store bought cheese into the house. Each time she does, I make sure I tell my teenage daughters "your mom is cheating on me again".  ;D
Thanks for the advice on using a smaller piercing needle. That might just be the answer for the other 4" Stilton I have aging. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 12:30:55 AM »
Dave is that thing with the gauge on it and red knob actually a regular or just on and off? Test by filling up a tire or somthing and rotating the knob to see if the psi changes. Other than that it's perfect. What you'll be attaching is a 1/4" quick connect fitting, all very neat and tidy.

Likesspace

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 02:00:36 AM »
Okay, after looking at this a little more closely I think you are right in assuming that it is nothing more than an on/off valve.
It does vary the amount of air exiting the tank, but it does not seem to regulate the pressure.
I did see an external regulator (Milton brand) at the store where I bought this tank. I think I'll check a couple of other places to see what is available. The Milton brand was $29.00 and I'm sure I can find something less expensive than that.
Thanks for catching this. I'll find the regulator I need so that I'm ready when the press arrives.
Thanks again.
Dave

Cheese Head

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 02:46:29 AM »
John, I'm disgusted...you served your neighbors STORE BOUGHT cheese?? LOL. :D

No ;D, I brought some of my Feta and Neufchatel, just posted pictures and story of this event here.

Likesspace

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 03:05:35 AM »
Carter,
I don't know how this phot will turn out (snatched it from the web) but this is the regulator I looked at today. It is the Milton brand I mentioned earlier.
I made a mistake on the price. According to the web site it is only $20.00.
At least it's brass so it should hold up over the long run.

Likesspace

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 03:08:50 AM »
You know Carter, after looking at this a little more closely it says it's an "air flow regulator w/gauge". Is this what I need? I mean when you get right down to it, the little red knob on my tank is an air flow regulator.
I'm getting more confused by the minute here.
Help me out! I want to be ready to go when the press gets here.

Thanks,
Dave