Author Topic: Stilton #2  (Read 12638 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Stilton #2
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:11 AM »
Dave, you'll nee the one that you already have on the tank to be able to fill the tank (through the air valve like on a car tire) and you'll need the gauge to see what the PSI in the tank is, BUT you'll need a "pressure regulator" to actually control the pressure coming out. It will screw onto where you will remove the hose. You'll have to be creative with the tank and 1/4" Pipe fittings, so bring the tank (after you remove the hose) to the hardware store with you. Here is what you'll need, the pic you posted second is not a proper regulator and I couldn't blow it up enough to read it, here is what you need, it's like a regular regulator for an air compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45009

you won't need the two side items they are a lubricator for air tools and a water filter to keep water out of the line. You don't need to order the one above, it's just an example. Here is a few more if you want to order one. But you probably can get a cheap one at Ace Hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausfeld%C2%AE-Mini-Pressure-Regulator/dp/B001A38KWG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1231921521&sr=8-1

You can buy this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95439

or this one-
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100082550

Or if you want I can just but a cheap one and fit it to my portable tank which is about the same as yours and then you can just screw it on yours?

Likesspace

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »
Carter,
Let me check at another place today. Our local ACE hardware store is pretty small so  might not be able to find one. If not, I would really appreciate you finding me one and then adding the price to the press.
I'll let you know tonight if I had any luck.
Oh, and I did a little looking on the web. At least I know what I'm looking for now.
Thanks a lot,
Dave

Likesspace

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
Oh, and as for plumbing the regulator in, that's a piece of cake. I deal with pipe fittings on a daily basis. I just need to make sure I'm plumbing in the right thing. :-)
Btw, I think I've found one. I'm going to go get it later in the day and I'll post a pic tonight.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:34 PM »
Sounds good, that's right you left hand nut...LOL

Likesspace

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Carter...
Here's what I came up with today. I went ahead and purchased a heavy metal regulator since I hate using metal fittings in plastic. It always seems to fail eventually from the stress.
This one was quite a bit more expensive but I figure it will get a lot of use.
It's a Milton brand regulator and has 1/4" NPT inlet/outlet and two 1/8" NPT openings. One of the 1/8" holes I will plug and the other will accept a pressure gauge.
It is adjustable from 0-100 psi with a 250 lb. maxium pressure rating. I figure it should work just fine.
Anway, here's a pic. If you see anything wrong with it, let me know. Otherwise, I'd say I'm ready to go.
Thanks for the help with this.
Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:37 AM »
Dave you are correct, that will work fine. I try to keep all presses I make to use cylinder that only require 100 psi at the most. Make sure you look at the regulator there should be arrows to show the flow of the air.

Likesspace

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 01:19:50 AM »
Carter,
Thanks for the tip on the air flow arrows. I hadn't thought of that.
John.....
Please feel free to delte the photos on these posts if they take up too much room. I planned on sending the pics over a PM but could not figure out how to do it.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 01:48:20 AM »
Dave you can email me the pics, just goto my profile. but this is all kind of relevent info some people can use, I think.

Likesspace

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 03:14:08 AM »
Carter, how's the Stilton coming along?
I'm getting ready to crack open my oldest one, either this weekend or next.
Next Saturday will be 8 weeks but I'm thinking of cracking it open this Saturday. Not so much because I think it will be better at 7 weeks but because I ran out of my previous blue last weekend.
My oldest does have a strong smell, but from what I've been reading, this is normal for a Stilton. It's not overpowering yet it is distinct.
I have checked the interior (a little over a week ago) and seemed to have some nice veining going on. Also, the taste test I took (also about a week ago) was pretty much wonderful.
Another reason that I'm thinking of cracking one this weekend is because I have another one aging that is only two weeks behind the first.
If I like how this one has aged I'll let the next one go until I run out, again.
That should put the second one in the 10 - 12 week range from it's make. Should be a very nice example if everything has gone well.
Give us an update on your Stilton.
This board has been pretty dead for the past couple of weeks.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 05:50:56 AM »
Well maybe it's dead becaue your alien camemberts are taking over the universe and shut this thread down! :D They are doing well. But 7 weeks come on Dave, 6 weeks is about the time you should start to pierce not eat, my faith in your patients is dwindling.

Seriously they're doing fine. Here's some pics, the small one is due to be pierced on 2/17/09 and the other 2/24/09. I will be making another one soon, using the 15 gallon batch so one that will be so big it'll be unreal. Actually I've worked out the volume and I think I can only do a 10 gallon batch. A 15 gallon batch would make a stilton wheel 10" in diameter and 7 1/2" high, so maybe a 12 gallon batch to make a wheel 10" x 6". I would like most wheels to be in this range.

P.S. In person they look beautiful, not real fuzzy, but nice and wrinkly.

Likesspace

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
They do look like nice examples, Carter and I am very envious of the size of those cheeses!
As for my patience problems....
Well, I admit it, I do have a problem there...
I've always had problems waiting for my cheese to be ripe yet I've also found that smaller wheels don't seem to take as long to age.
I've eaten cheddars at 1, 2 & 3 months and they honestly didn't taste very much different.
I've eaten Gouda at anywhere from two weeks to 6 months and both the flavor and texture are there, even at a young age.
The last Stilton I ate, was only a month old and it was fantastic. Of course this is a small 4" round that is 8" tall. I'm sure it would be different for one of your large wheels.
Also, my recipe for Stilton does say to age the cheese for 8 weeks, so I'm pretty much right on schedule.
I'll take some pics and give a review once I do crack this one open.
Hopefully I'll not be disappointed.

Dave

chilipepper

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »
Wow that is dangerous posting those pictures so close to lunch time, Carter!  I damn near had to wipe my screen down from the salivation activity here!! :D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 03:47:45 AM »
LOL, I have a few recipes for Stilton, and of course to my frustration that are totally different same principles but very different execution. But most say to pierce right away, then I learned from Dave that at that early of a stage it's still pretty soft and I might damaged the wheel. Then I got a recipe from Danlac and it said to pierce at 6 weeks, then I found that Stilton making video and that was in line with the Danlac recipe. And thanks to Dave about only piercing half way through, which you should do but a book recipe doesn't specify.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2009, 02:23:03 AM »
Here's a pic of the stilton at 6 weeks. I got to pierce it tonight, Went perfect. This cheese is way more dense than I thouhgt. I've been using boards to flip it as I figured the rind would be powerdry or fuzzy mold, but it's not it's very hard and I can handle it with out any visible signs of mold on my hand. So I put them on the new mats in the blue cave. It is very firm when I plunged the wire in and still seems good and creamy.

Likesspace

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 02:44:39 AM »
Carter...
Those look fantastic.
They look pretty much like my third and fourth Stiltons.
I'm not sure what happened with my second example but I've not been able to get the really brown rind on any of my other attempts.
Honestly the second example was too brown and did not have nearly as hard of a rind as a Stilton is supposed to have.
I'll be cutting into my third one this weekend and hopefully I'll be pleased.
I will say that the cheese seems extremely hard as compared to my last one, but we'll see what it's like on the inside. That is what's important afterall.
Great work Carter.
I can't wait to see these opened.

Dave