Author Topic: Floc question (was Wa Cheese Guild Stilton recipe using goat milk?)  (Read 1211 times)

rlatta

I tried floc using a small plastic cup and it stopped moving at 5 minutes. I tried for a clean break at 20 but it still seemed soft. I tried again 15 minutes later and still not a good break.
So it looks like it will take the hour.
What did I do wrong on my floc test?

Our girls are giving again and we want to start a batch of Stilton(like) cheese.

How would we adjust the PH targets using the recipe at
http://www.wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=71:stilton-approximation-howto&catid=38:bloomy-rind-and-blue&Itemid=58

to use goat milk?

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:22:56 PM by rlatta »

linuxboy

Re: Changes to Washingington Cheese Guild Stilton recipe using goat milk?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:32:05 PM »
You don't really need to change the recipe much. The pH targets are more to point out the change in pH from step to step, not some commandments to be followed blindly. If your milk comes in at 6.6 instead of 6.65 or 6.7, then focus on the change in pH and how it works together with your culture. All recipes must be customized to fit your milk, environment, and cultures. You typically need to tweak the time or acidity schedule, or something else. But if you use the approach of change in pH from step to step, it should work.

Please note, Stilton makes a LOT of curd. Be prepared for the volume :)