Author Topic: Sock it Tomme!  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Sock it Tomme!
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:45:43 PM »
Okay, let's try this again. This was scheduled to be a Reblochon. At least the milk and cream were envisioned as that until linuxboy came into the picture.

This is my third Tomme effort. Along with the 2 gallons of Trader Joe's organic milk (pasteurized...not homogenized), 1 gallon of 2% Darigold P&H milk, and 1 gallon of Darigold P&H whole milk, I added the pint of cream (not ultrapasteurized) I had bought for the Reblochon. This should be interesting.

• MM100 1/4 tsp
  • thermophilic 1/8 tsp
  • SR3 1/8 tsp
  • KL71 1/8 tsp
  • geo 1/16 tsp
  • CACL2 1 tsp in distilled water
  • dry calf rennet 1/8 tsp in distilled water, when it's time to stir in

Calibrated my ExStick. Checked milk: 6.85. Yes, Sailor, I know, I know....  I proceeded anyway.

Once again, as expected, it took three hours to reach 6.48, at which time I added the CACL2 and rennet. Once again, my floc time was 5 minutes. Really? Yes, really. I've been here before. I thought my use of raw milk in the past was a contributor to fast flocking (spelling?) because of additional factors inherent in the raw milk. I also believe that waiting until the pH actually comes "into view", where I would like for it to be, assists the rennet action.

Everything went fairly well. I cut at 6.42. Temp was 88F. The extra cream was a bit of a nuisance, creating a bit of a skin on the surface, along with the oil slick and little floating fat globules. I pressed it in the pot, under whey, then transferred the pot to the Dutch press where I hung my 3/4 lb crescent wrench with 2 pulleys. From that combination I delivered 22 lbs to the cheese. The whey that leaked out at the mold follower on the top measured 4.68. I placed in the whey-brine that measured 5.15. It comes out of the brine tonight at 8:00PM after 12 hours.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

tananaBrian

Re: Sock it Tomme!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:38:33 AM »
Interesting on the Organic Valley cream ...I called them and asked about their products, and they told me that the only product they had that was not ultra-pasteurized was their 'cream on top' whole milk.  Maybe they were only thinking of milk, not cream?  Maybe the labeling isn't accurate on the cream?  Hmmm....

Brian

Brie

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 05:45:22 AM »
We must be on the same wave length this weekend, Boof--I also made Reblochon. I used 2 gallons of milk and 1 quart of cream (both raw milk). Generous pinch of both GEO and Flora Danica and TA060. Less than 1/2 tsp. of Rennet--flocced at 15 minutes and let go to total rennet time of 60. Cut to 1/2" and let sit 5 minutes. Cut again down to pea size and stirred another 5 minutes. Rose temp to 91 degrees and stirred another 20 minutes. Drew off whey to level of curd and molded. Set molds into whey for 15 minutes--flipped and returned to whey for 15 minutes. Took out of whey, flipped and removed cheesecloth. Applied 2 pounds of weight to each 1 pound of cheese and let sit for 2 hours. Removed weights and let cheese sit overnight. Brined for two hours, dried and aged at 50 degrees RH 90 for 60 days. Wash with brine mixture of B.linens and salt every other day for first 2 weeks. Turn daily and allow it out its box every other day for at least a half hour to  allow the b.linens to grow,. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:27:24 AM »
Brie, how lyrical. Who'd a thought one could find prose in a recipe?

Thanks for that.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:22:19 AM »
Boofer, about the dry calf rennet - if I use 1/16th tsp on three gallons raw milk, I get floc around 9-10 minutes.  All my more recent make sheets now say things like "scant 1/16th" with a floc 12-13 minutes, or my personal favorite, "scant SCANT 1/16th" with 15-16 minute flocs.

I suspect that a "scant SCANT 1/16th" is more like one-and-a-half 1/32nds.  I'm starting to use less and less now, because as Sailor mentioned happens to him, now that the cows are getting back on grass it's starting to take slightly less and less rennet to get to where I want to be.  Not a huge difference yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »
Yes, I've gone down to 1/16 tsp on previous makes and it did stretch the floc time a bit. I could probably have done that here.

I believe there is a complex relationship with:
  • rennet:
    • type (dry calf, liquid calf, mucor, etc.)
    • amount
    • how long it has been hydrated (if dry)
  • milk
    • type (raw or P&H)

I do believe the lower pH (higher acidity) accelerates/enhances the rennet efficacy.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
Interesting on the Organic Valley cream ...I called them and asked about their products, and they told me that the only product they had that was not ultra-pasteurized was their 'cream on top' whole milk.  Maybe they were only thinking of milk, not cream?  Maybe the labeling isn't accurate on the cream?  Hmmm....

Brian
All other creams I find are labeled ultra-pasteurized. I would expect that if this was that case, they would be required to label it accordingly. I take them at their label (re:word).

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Helen

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:47:06 PM »
Hi Boofer,

Are you sure that the Trader Joe's milk in the picture is non-homogenized?

My Trader Joe only carries non-homogenized milk in half-gallon and it is clearly labeled as cream-top. The one in your picture looks like the regular milk I buy for my every day needs.

tananaBrian

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
Boy!  Gettin' beat up on the milk topic, eh?  I think it's because so many are so disappointed with the milk industry nowadays and how they are destroying our 'food'.  I would say that if your milk formed a proper curd, that THAT is the best evidence that it was not heat treated above 170-ish (F), which means it is not ultra-pasteurized (marked ultra-pasteurized or UHT) or high-temperature-short-time pasteurized (marked 'pasteurized' or HTST).  I've heard rumor that manufactures don't have to say anything but 'pasteurized' on milk, regardless of which method and at what temperature and I suspect that is true as well ...some of the Organic Valley milks only say 'pasteurized' but their rep on the phone told me that ALL of their milk is ultra-pasteurized except for their "pasteurized-only cream on top whole milk" product.  Some dairies (most?) aren't exactly forthcoming about their processes either, like the Matanuska Creamery here in Alaska ...on my first phone call, they told me that their milk was pasteurized at 170 F and that they use the exact same milk that they sell for making their own selection of cheeses.  3 tries in a row later, all different production dates, all the milk that I tested only created UP/UHT type mush for curds ...useless.  Upon calling them again, they said that their pasteurization temperature can vary from "165 F to well over 180 F".  The truth comes out!  Well, part of it anyway.  They never would give me a maximum temperature ...and I know darn well that when they make their own cheese, that they use milk pasteurized at the bottom end of this range, so yes, technically it is the same milk as what they sell ...part of it anyway.

Now that I've mentioned the milk bandits, I may as well mention the GOOD milks here in Alaska:  Lucerne brand at Carrs/Safeway appears to curd consistently and properly so its pasteurization temperature must be at the lower end, and Northern Lights Dairy in Delta Junction makes an excellent 145 F vat-pasteurized product.  Local cow shares are a good deal too at $4/gal for raw milk, or $5/gal delivered.  Now that the local stores are one by one raising the cost of a gallon of milk to nearly $4/gallon, those cow shares are looking better and better ...most of those cows live on locally grown feeds and are less subject to the food-price issues that are occurring everywhere else right now (wheat up 80% during 2010, food average up over 30% from beginning of 2010 until now and expected to be up by 54% by the end of 2011, etc ...it's OK ...Bernanke said the CPI is at 0% to 1% depending on which quarter you look at ...rising prices are figments of our imagination).

Regardless, the results speak for themselves and your tomme looks great ...your milk was FINE.

Brian

Helen

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
Brian -

Not beating up anything at all...

I just wanted Boofer to confirm that it was cream-top...because if his milk is cream-top then I might find the same gallon size in my local Trader Joe that sometimes carries a full advertised cream top brand but most of the time does not.

I am quite blind when it comes to US labels and I wanted to know if I might have missed something. Since I am a newcomer to this country, I have few references when it comes to shopping brands.

I did not mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
Regardless, the results speak for themselves and your tomme looks great ...your milk was FINE.
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I sure feel better. Great dissertation on the evil milk producers.

You should consider yourself very fortunate. Wow, $4 a gallon for raw milk. Try $9.99 a gallon! Needless to say, I don't use much of that milk.

I just wanted Boofer to confirm that it was cream-top...
To be quite honest, Helen, I didn't even look. The milk, as you can see, comes in an opaque white jug. I accepted that it was not homogenized or it would have been labeled as such. It could have been. I think somewhere on the forum linuxboy recommended Trader Joe's milk once upon a time.

The milk was combined with two gallons of Darigold milk and it seemed to set with no problem...5 minutes! If it hadn't gelled I would have been concerned. As it is, I am pleased and would use it again. If I do use it again, I will pay attention to whether it's creamline.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:20:28 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Helen

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 12:11:25 AM »
Thanks, Boofer!

Have you decided what kind of rind you will be aiming for?

I look forward to more pictures!!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 01:02:59 AM »
Quote from: Boofer
I think somewhere on the forum linuxboy recommended Trader Joe's milk once upon a time.

That's interesting, and good to know, Boof.  Any idea where this discussion might be, on the forum? Pav? 

My one raw milk source is currently $6/gallon for a Jersey/Holstein blend, and 11 a gallon for straight Jersey.
- Paul

linuxboy

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 01:11:20 AM »
I recommended it for us, Boofer. Regular, non-organic TJ and Wholefoods 356 brand milk. For people in the Northwest, specifically here in the Puget Sound, who have no other option than store milk. I said it was the best, consistent milk around here from the grocery store. Whole Foods and TJ around here get their milk whitelabeel from Sunshine Dairy in Portland. So for $2.50/gal (whole foods), you can get milk that will actually form a half-decent curd, and usually even stretches for mozz, and the flavor is acceptable.

The other ones are hit and miss. Dairygold, Sno-fresh, etc. Sometimes OK, sometimes not. You have to look at the plant where the milk is bottled. Boofer, if you can make it to Tenino or Enumclaw, there's much better milk out there for $5-$8/gal.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 01:13:14 AM »
Just saw the thread, interestingly enough.  From there, also saw your link to standardizing milk - thanks, Pav.
- Paul