Author Topic: Sock it Tomme!  (Read 8928 times)

OudeKaas

Re: Sock it Tomme!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 04:38:19 AM »
Thanks, Boofer!

Have you decided what kind of rind you will be aiming for?

I look forward to more pictures!!

Yes . .  . inquiring minds want to know!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
Boofer, if you can make it to Tenino or Enumclaw, there's much better milk out there for $5-$8/gal.
That looks to be about 30 miles to Enumclaw for me. A little further south to Tenino. In any case, within reach. Any recommendations in Enumclaw? Tenino?

I see Meadowwood Organics in Enumclaw and a slew of others here.

Have you decided what kind of rind you will be aiming for?

I look forward to more pictures!!

Yes . .  . inquiring minds want to know!
No, I haven't decided yet. The clock is ticking. It's drying in its minicave at room temperature (65-70F) now.

Yeah, you know I like to post pics. They're coming. I snapped pics of my second Esrom this morning as I wrapped it in the cheese paper for a little sustained affinage in the big fridge. Today marks Day 60. Interesting brick of cheese. It really feels and looks like a brick, but I wasn't aiming for brick cheese.  ???

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »
Flip it.

*runs away*

OudeKaas

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »
Enumclaw? Tenino?

Where the heck do you folks live, Narnia? :-)

tananaBrian

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »
Brian -

Not beating up anything at all...

I just wanted Boofer to confirm that it was cream-top...because if his milk is cream-top then I might find the same gallon size in my local Trader Joe that sometimes carries a full advertised cream top brand but most of the time does not.

I am quite blind when it comes to US labels and I wanted to know if I might have missed something. Since I am a newcomer to this country, I have few references when it comes to shopping brands.

I did not mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did!

Maybe I used the wrong terminology.  "Offensive" never entered my mind ...I was just surprised and found it interesting to see 2 different questions on someone's milk in a single thread.  As far as I can see, the results do speak for themselves and I would personally chalk up Trader Joe's milk, of the kind used here, as an acceptable choice until proven otherwise (who knows when a plant will change its process or how much process control they have?).

Brian

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »
Enumclaw? Tenino?

Where the heck do you folks live, Narnia? :-)
Well, no, but we do live close to the Emerald City...  :)

I did not mean to offend anyone. Sorry if I did!
"Offensive" never entered my mind
Okay, everyone to your corners for a timeout. I've seen nothing here that I would deem offensive. Just valid observations and opinion. Now, let's get back to cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
Well now, this is interesting. If I was making a Stilton or something along those lines, I'd be in Fat City. Hey, where'd all this blue come from all of a sudden? I'm not making any so there's no question of cross-contamination in my cave. Very curious. I guess it likes the extra cream.

I knocked it back, but I was really surprised by that. I still haven't decided the most favorable rind development course to take yet.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

OudeKaas

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
The clock is ticking . . . . . :-)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
The clock is ticking . . . . . :-)
Yeah, but how 'bout that lovely shade of blue? Kinda makes you want to lean back and gaze into the cheese imagining little poofy clouds of . . . geo, of course! (followed by a gorgeous b. linens sunset!  :) )

Yeah, yeah, yeah...but it has only been a week or so. I'm still pondering. I was considering Brie's exploration into the honey & sea salt, but I have decided that's a little too "out there" for me right now. I don't think it's a proven rind process yet and I don't want to guinea pig there (I've got enough of that in my own cave!  ::) ).

Oh, decisions...decisions. What to do?!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Brie

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
After my tomme de honey experiment,I would suggest washing that puppy in vinegar and salt.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »
Done that! I'm on the case.

Starting to get a little yellow showing as of this morning's washing.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 01:43:02 PM »
After some contemplation I am considering a Gewürztraminer wash for this one. I don't know if that's appropriate, but I get the feeling that the field is wide open for rind development. The wine should help it develop its character.

I'd like to get linuxboy's or Francois's opinion on washing with wine. Most, if not all, of the wines sold in the US contain sulfites. Wouldn't this kill the bacterial strains, yeasts, and/or molds on my rind? Is there a way that I can do it effectively? If it is possible, can you provide any guidance on wine alone, wine & brine, or wine & water?

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:07:58 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
There are others out there, I am sure, but I have attached info about some of the cheeses that are given a wine treatment during their affinage. They use some unnamed red wine, Sauternes, and Muscato. The Muscato is a little confusing because it makes sense to limit the sweetness in whatever wine I eventually decide to try. But this seems to work for the folks using the Muscato.

At this point, still washing with brine and researching....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Helen

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:47 PM »
Hi Boofer,

I washed my tomme with white wine (after it got a nice b.linens bloom) and I really enjoyed how it subtly affected the taste.

Thanks for attaching the articles. That will make for a nice reading.

Brie

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:48 AM »
Thanks for posting those cheeses--gives me something new to try! Keep us posted on your tomme.