Author Topic: Jersey vs Brown Swiss milk  (Read 18128 times)

susanky

Jersey vs Brown Swiss milk
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Big lesson this weekend.  Last summer I made cheese from raw Jersey milk.  I won't have milk from those cows until June.  But I am getting milk now (also raw) from Brown Swiss cows.  I made a Gouda with the exact same recipe.  It was only about half the size of the wheel from the Jersey milk.  Of course it is white. My Jersey wheel it quite yellow.  Will try to post pictures later but he first on in vacuum bag.  Look like totally different cheeses.

So clearly I will have to adjust my recipe based on the milk.  I am thinking I will use this Brown Swiss milk to make cheese that require skim milk.  There isn't alot of cream  to skim and I could probably use it straight.  Makes me wonder about recipes that call for extra cream.  I could probably just use Jersey milk straight.  There must be some sort of standard in commercial milk that one would know how much cream would need to be added?  I guess I will just have to figure it out with trial and error. 

I have thought alot about tweaking recipes with various cultures, curd size, etc.  It seems the milk is just as big if not bigger variable.  My BS milk has about 1/4 inch cream on the gallon.  The Jersey can have 5" or more or 40%+ of the gallon.  That has to make a big difference.  Any thoughts?
Susan

mtncheesemaker

Re: Jersey vs Brown Swiss milk
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
Hi Susan;
A friend of mine uses milk from Holstein cows and I use Jersey milk. My yields are much bigger than hers, esp. in cheeses like Camemberts. I partly skim the cream for Tommes and Mozz, but use it whole for soft, moldy types. I hardly ever add extra cream to recipes.
It's nice to have a choice of fresh milks!
Pam

coffee joe

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
Different breeds have different Fat content in their milk, assuming all are fed the same thing.
Holsteins are the lowest Fat content averaging around 3.7%, Brown Swiss average about 4% and Jersey about 5%. 20% more fat per gallon is a big deal. There are other breeds and genetic factors as well. Kappa Casein is the primary Cheese factor.

Homestead

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
It's not just the cream itself, it is also the protein to fat ratio.  We have raised milking shorthorn, brown Swiss, jersey and Holstein and not only do the breeds have different fat to protein ratios each individual cow does as well.   I have found that no matter the breed, each cow's milk is unique and will be different in those specs.  Also, time in lactation and feed as well as health/gestation will all play into that as well.

susanky

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:21:03 AM »
Different breeds have different Fat content in their milk, assuming all are fed the same thing.
Holsteins are the lowest Fat content averaging around 3.7%, Brown Swiss average about 4% and Jersey about 5%. 20% more fat per gallon is a big deal. .

The difference really is amazing.  I've seen these numbers.  It just seems like a bigger difference.  When it separates, the Jersey milk seems to have at least 10x more cream on it.  The yield on my cheese wheel was about 75% greater (not quite double, but nearly).  I have also read that Brown Swiss have ideal PF ratios for some types of cheeses.  Looking forward to learning!  I appreciate everyone's comments and experience.  Keep 'em coming!
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:39:33 AM »
Of the 6 major dairy cattle breeds in the USA, Holsteins produce the largest volume of milk as well as the highest annual yield of fat and protein. The average annual output for Holstein cows is 24,032 lb of milk with 3.7% fat and 3.02% protein.

By comparison, the average annual output for Jersey cows is just 16,835 lb of milk but it has 4.84% fat and 3.59% protein. Jerseys are known for producing milk with a high content of milk fat and milk proteins especially suited for cheese production.

Average cheese yields from Jersey milk are 11.33% for Jersey milk compared to 9.67% for Holstein milk. The milk that I use is from Holstein-Jersey crosses and I average just over 11% yield. Jersey milk has higher proportions of long-chained saturated fatty acids and lower proportions of long-chain unsaturated fatty acids, which means harder fat. Milk from Jerseys also has up to 19% additional casein and whey protein, so Jersey milk coagulates faster and forms firmer curd than Holstein milk.

And of course Jersey milk is yellower because the higher fat content maintains a higher concentration of β-Carotene.

susanky

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:56:59 AM »
Thanks Sailor!  Great information.  If the yield from Holstein vs Jersey is 9.67 vs 11.33% does it make sense that my cheese from Brown Swiss milk (which should fall in between) was only a little more than HALF the size of the wheel make with the exact same recipe from Jersey milk?
Susan

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Jersey is definitely good stuff, but a drop of almost 50% doesn't make sense to me. I personally get about a 20% drop from Jersey to Holstein. I used Brown Swiss one time on a custom make for a local farmer. It had a fabulous flavor and the batch had a really good yield - 11.5%.

Yield is definitely something to seriously consider when buying local milk. If Jersey costs a little more, but you get a higher yield, then it's worth it.

susanky

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:10:49 AM »
I don't truly 'buy' it.  That is illegal and I'm a goody-two-shoes.  So they give it to me and I help them out with other things when I can.  In both cases it gets thrown out if I don't go get it.  The Jersey cows aren't due to have their babies until June (but then should be milking all winter).  For the next 2 months I'll  have to learn to understand the Brown Swiss milk.  I'm excited to try the same recipies with the different milk and see what I get.  Looks like I will need 4-5 gallons of the BS milk for the mold I am currently using.  Now that I know that I can make adjustments accordingly.

I will try to send pictures of both wheels this weekend.  The difference is surprising.
Susan

Erkki Juusto

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 02:58:34 AM »
We have Holstein x Brown Swiss and Jersey. I have sent their milk for testing. HxBS had exact protein:fat ratio that is ideal for Gruyere and Emmenthal. If I mixed in Jersey milk, I had to remove some cream (fat) to get the ratio right. I do know that our Jersey is holding the cream for the calf - that rascal is getting the hind milk with all the cream!

susanky

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »
I have sent their milk for testing. HxBS had exact protein:fat ratio that is ideal for Gruyere and Emmenthal. If I mixed in Jersey milk, I had to remove some cream (fat) to get the ratio right. I do know that our Jersey is holding the cream for the calf - that rascal is getting the hind milk with all the cream!

I have read that the BS were ideal for these types of cheeses and am anxious to give it a try.  A friend has family in Switzerland that make cheese.  They make just those types and have only BS cows.

What do you mean by the Jersey 'holding the cream for the calf' and 'hind milk with all the cream'?  More cream is produced in the back of the udder?  I thought is was the same through out the milk, just varied by cow.
Susan

Homestead

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
The cream is the last milk to come out of the quarter.  It is reffered to as the hind milk.  When you leave a calf on the cow most of the time the cow will "tighten"  so to speak the teat canal and not let the last of it out.  It's really amazing that they know to do it and depending on the operation you have can be a problem.

susanky

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 01:22:56 AM »
OMG! That's it!!! I did some reading on the internet to undstand 'hind milk'.  After working with the Jersey milk I sworethis  Brown Swiss milk is like skim.  And today I ready MrsKK yeilds 10-12% mozzarella with skim milk.  I got 11.5% today but was about half of what I got previously.  And hardlly ANY cream when it settle.  Like skim.

But here's the thing.  These cows have calves. They are separated from them all day.  Come in to milk, then go with the baby for the night.  They don't let down their milk very well so I read that holds back cream.  Also, we are not milking them all the way out so we are leaving behind the cream!  On the bright side, I can make parmesan and not have to skim the milk!  So I am guessing this will change dramatically when the babies are gone.  Or we should start milking them out all the way.  I LOVE this forum!
Susan

Homestead

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 03:30:26 AM »
 We don't leave the calves on the cows for a lot of different reasons.  But it can be done if managed well.  How much milk is she producing.  You will need to milk all four quarters out completely and make sure to monitor the calf to see if it is getting enough.  Udder congestion as well as mastitis are huge problems if you aren't getting her milked out all the way.  Let me know if I can help...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:36:13 AM by Mountain Maiden »

susanky

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
The farmer goes to work very early in the morning so the calves are left with the mother so that he can milk once a day.  At least for now.  The calves have had problems with what we thought was scours.  Maybe they are drinking too much cream when we milk mom out partially and then put them back together?  But if mom is holding back and won't let milk down how do you avoid this?
Susan