Author Topic: Mold Cultures In Spray Bottle - Life Expectancy & How To Make Sterile Water  (Read 2443 times)

iain

Quick question: how long will mold cultures (geo & p. candidum) last reconstituted in water, stored in a spray bottle in the refrigerator? I have some that have been in there for a couple of weeks now and would rather use them than mix up a new batch. Thoughts?

linuxboy

Pure spores? In sterile water? 5-20 years.

Normal water/impure spores (spores with media or substrate)? maybe 6-12 months?

Anything else depends on how you did it. Do you mean they're mixed together?

iain

I have a spray bottle with distilled water, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, and a small amount of Choozit Geo 13 and P. Candidum. I sprayed some cheeses a few weeks ago and put the remainder in the refrigerator. I just wasn't sure if it would still be effective, or if I should mix up a new batch using new freeze-dried cultures.

linuxboy

You're fine. After it becomes turbid, you have about 2 weeks before you need to rebatch that mix. if you did it in sterile water, it would last years.

arkc

Where do you get sterile water?

linuxboy

I make mine. For a quick solution, take RO or distilled water, and boil it, or if possible, boil in pressure canner. Cool and use. Or filter through a bacteriological filter. Or autoclave.

arkc

Thank you.

arkc

susanky

Some spores can survive boiling, right?  So using distilled water solves this problem?  My water supply is a cistern.  I usually boil water before using to dilute rennet etc, but always wonder if something might survive.
Susan

linuxboy

Some spores can survive boiling, right?
Many can, yes. That's why one autoclaves, 121C for 15-20 mins.
So using distilled water solves this problem?
mmm, if one has a good process, most of the time, yes.
I usually boil water before using to dilute rennet etc, but always wonder if something might survive.
Yes, but honestly, there's more risk of contamination from the environment/during handling than spores surviving. It's typically a non-issue in practical use.

susanky

Good to know. Though I DO have access to an autoclave. Maybe I'll sterilize a half-gallon or so...
Susan