Author Topic: Reblochon chronicles  (Read 8241 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Reblochon chronicles
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2011, 01:39:10 AM »
Thinking more on Reblochon AOC.  And taking a foundling's stab at thinking on cheesemaking process, so posed this to Pav, and posting here, for all to see either some learning, or some delusion.   ;D

Anyway, re-reading Reblochon AOC, again surprised by the curd size:  same as Beaufort AOC.  Perhaps I've been thinking of reblochon as softer than it really should be - closer to the tomme-pole of the tomme-reblochon-Mont D'Or continuum?  Anyway, AOC:

Quote from: Reblochon AOC
"...un tranche caillé l'ensemble en petits morceaux de la taille d'un grain de blé à celui d'un grain de maïs..."

Identical to the Beaufort AOC.  They cut to the same size, wheat-to-corn grains; so how do they obtain a softer paste?  My off the cuff thoughts:

Not fat, as Reblochon v. Beaufort of  FFB 45% reb. v. 48% minimum for Beaufort; so it comes down to:

- a higher moisture via lower pre-rennet pH/submicelle hydration and less cooking in the reblochon - so that even with the same, small curd size, the lower temp, pH and cooking all lead to a moister curd in the reblochon; moister curd, softer paste, ceteris paribus;

-a different proteolytic dynamic entirely, due to the different rind developments, penetration, and paste action.

Learned ones, about right?

Heck, while I'm here, thinking on next autumn and winter, and Mont D'Or (you can pull the boy from the braising season, but not the braising season from the boy). 

Re-reading Madeleine Kamman's Savoie. (Love that grand old dame).  Interesting, she indicates vacherin gets minimal cutting and no stirring.  I asked Pav if this was his experience as well, and he gave his usual pellucid and helpful reply, re: desired moisture levels and consequent make planning.  My thought in reply was - apprentice, here, trying to think for himself:

Quote from: AF
My presumption, is fat as hell, and wet; though a lot of the unctuousness comes from fat, and not entirely an extreme moisture - that said, still  high MFFB: How's this sound?  MFFB of 70%, FFB of 65%.  Winter milk, perhaps even enriched with cream; 5x multiplier, even more acidic pre-rennet than your reblochon suggestion, 1/2" curd, no stirring.

Again, I'm posting this as a ditto to my reply to Pav; merely a thought exercise.  If I'm wrong, please forgive, I will correct, and if I'm right, hopefully it's helpful - both in substance, and in seeing a noob trying to think through these processes and desired ends.

- Paul

Helen

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:23 PM »
Helen - you might be surprised how much moisture is inside your blue. Vacuum bag it to trap the remaining moisture in and let it age some.

Thank you Sailor. I will do as you suggest!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 07:21:04 PM »
Well, after spending a week in my regular refrigerator and told to behave (thank you, Helen and Pav), wrapped snuggly in their little papillotes of cheese paper, I am pleased to say...I think we're golden.  Will give it a couple more weeks and re-evaluate whether to scarf, or place back in the "general population" on good behavior.   ;D

Pics:

(this is one of the wheels that got regularly washed, with p. candidum being pushed back as a result).

(Unwashed, after the first washing cycle, with p. candidum allowed to turn sauvage, no linens washing after the first cycle.  Will be fun to compare both).
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
Just musing here.  I know Yoav indicated rebs usually get no linens wash; and my rebs, for whatever reason, were getting a rind proteolysis in a big way, very quickly. 

What do people feel the best way would be to slow down a smear effect, as a general principle?  Wash less frequently?  Stop the wash sooner, and smear, only, after some set developmental marker?  Cooler, or lower RH? 
- Paul

iratherfly

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 04:19:08 AM »
Just stop washing.  Let the geo and/or mycodor grow on it. You should  always stop the wash before you get the color you want. The B.Linen continues to work and color becomes more intense. It's a bit like turning off the heat on your milk pot when it reaches 84F because you need it to be 86F and you know there is still enough energy in the pot, bottom and heat element to climb those needed 2F in the next few minutes before stopping. Know what I mean?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
Just musing here.  I know Yoav indicated rebs usually get no linens wash; and my rebs, for whatever reason, were getting a rind proteolysis in a big way, very quickly. 

What do people feel the best way would be to slow down a smear effect, as a general principle?  Wash less frequently?  Stop the wash sooner, and smear, only, after some set developmental marker?  Cooler, or lower RH?
Is there any status on these cheeses? I'd like to know how they came out or are coming along.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »

Is there any status on these cheeses? I'd like to know how they came out or are coming along.

-Boofer-

Hey Boof - sorry for the delay, have had some unfortunate medical setbacks which have dragged me down a bit, and no, no further makes in a awhile.  I do plan on doing these rebs soon, and will definitely keep you posted.  Thanks, friend.   :)
- Paul